Here's what you need to know for tonight's home showdown with the Sharks!
1. Cory Schneider gets his second start of the season tonight. He did not play last Saturday at Washington and missed Tuesday’s game against Nashville due to the birth of his son, Wyatt. Schneider started a career-high 20 consecutive games to open last season, the longest such stretch in Devils’ history.
2. The Devils will face off against former head coach Peter DeBoer for the first time tonight. DeBoer coached the Devils for three-plus seasons and led the club to the 2012 Stanley Cup Finals. He was named San Jose’s bench boss on May 28.
3. The Devils have scored a power play goal in each of their first three games. They're 3-for-9 overall and their 33.3% conversion rate is tied for second best (Boston & Winnipeg) in the NHL.
4. Sharks Assistant/Goaltending coach Johan Hedberg played for the Devils for three seasons from 2010-2013 and served as Albany’s (AHL) goaltending coach last season.
5. Kyle Palmieri scored a power-play goal on Tuesday – his first tally as a Devil – and now has points in back-to-back games (1g-1a-2pts).
6. Today in 1989, the Devils acquired Toronto’s first-round choice in the 1991 Entry Draft in exchange for Tom Kurvers. The Devils would use that pick to select defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who would go on to become an integral part of each of the team’s three Stanley Cup Championships.