Here’s what you need to know for tonight’s meeting with Montreal at Prudential Center!
1. This is the first of three meetings between the Devils and Canadiens this season and one of two contests to be played at The Rock. Montreal won the 2013-14 season series 2-1-0.
2. The Devils have activated Patrik Elias (mumps, 4 games missed), Martin Havlat (virus, 4 games) and Michael Ryder (mumps, 3 games) for tonight’s contest. Joe Whitney was assigned to Albany (AHL). Ryder, who led the Devils with 2g-2a-4pts vs. the Canadiens last season, was Montreal’s ninth choice (eighth round), and the 216th overall selection of the 1998 Entry Draft.
Here’s what Ryder had to say about his return:
3. Elias needs three goals to reach 400, one assist to reach 600 and four points to reach 1,000 in his NHL career.
4. Keith Kinkaid (1-1-2, 1.75 GAA, .939 sv%) gets the call for his fourth start of the season. He’s coming off of his first career NHL win, a 26-save performance in a 3-2 shootout victory over Tampa Bay on Dec. 19.
Check out some of his handiwork at today’s morning skate:
5. New Jersey was 4-for-4 on the penalty kill at Detroit on Wednesday and is 36-for-39 (92.3%) over the past 12 games. The Devils have the second-best PK since Nov. 11 (73-for-81, 90.1%), behind only Carolina (51-for-56, 91.1%), according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
6. The Devils lead the all-time series vs. the Canadiens 61-40-10 and are 34-16-5 in the previous 55 games played in New Jersey.