The Devils are opening 2016 with the first of two contests against the NHL-leading Dallas Stars. The teams meet again in Dallas on March 4.
2. Victorious in three of their last four games, the Devils are seeking their first three-game winning streak since taking four in a row from Oct. 18-24. Coach John Hynes' club is 3-2-1 over its last six home games and 8-8-3 at Prudential Center overall.
3. Tonight's starter Cory Schneider is coming off of Wednesday's 36-save 3-0 victory in Ottawa. He's 2-1-1 with one shutout, a 2.13 goals-against average and .929 save percentage in four games vs. the Stars as a Devil.
Schneider has allowed two goals or less in 18 of his last 24 starts since Oct. 29 and is 12-8-4 with three shutouts, 2.02 GAA, and .931 save percentage during that stretch. He's sixth (tie) in the NHL in wins (16), sixth (tie) in shutouts (3), 10th in GAA (2.10) and seventh (tie) in save percentage (.927).
4. Lee Stempniak (1g-1a-2pts) and Travis Zajac (3a-3pts) are looking to extend points streaks to three games tonight. Stempniak is third on the Devils with 9g-19a-28pts overall and has matched his total from all of last season (15g-13a-28pts in 71 games). He has points in 10 of the last 14 games (4g-6a-10pts), including a team season-high five-game point-scoring streak (2g-3a-5pts) from Dec. 3-11.
5. The Stars are an NHL-best 28-8-3 this season and 5-1-1 over their last seven games following a 5-1 win over Nashville on Thursday. Coach Lindy Ruff's squad, which is 15-5-0 vs. the East, has just one win in its last four road games (1-2-1).
6. Dallas' Jamie Benn leads the NHL with 24g and ranks second with 52pts behind Patrick Kane (23g-33a-56pts). He has points in seven consecutive games (4g-7a-11pts).