This is the first meeting between the two clubs in Pittsburgh. The Devils have won a season-high four consecutive games (tie, Oct. 18-24) and are looking to win five straight for the first time since Feb. 3-10, 2013 (5-0-0).
2. Cory Schneider has recorded a shutout in each of his last two starts vs. the Penguins and is 3-1-1 with a 0.80 GAA and .973 save percentage in his last five starts vs. Pittsburgh. He made 21 saves in a 4-0 blanking of the Pens at Prudential Center on Nov. 14.
3. The Devils are looking to snap a four-game losing streak at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center. New Jersey is 2-9-1 in Pittsburgh since 2010-11.
4. The clubs share multiple connections: In the front office, Executive VP/General Manager Ray Shero was Pittsburgh’s EVP/GM from 2006-14; assistant GM Tom Fitzgerald held several positions with Pittsburgh from 2007-15, including serving as Assistant GM in 2014-15; head coach John Hynes spent six seasons with the Penguins’ organization from 2009-15, including the past five seasons as head coach of their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton; assistant Coach Alain Nasreddine played for the Pens’ organization from 2004-08 and served as an assistant coach under Hynes with W-B/Scranton from 2010-15.
On the roster, Bobby Farnham was claimed off waivers from Pittsburgh on Oct. 26; Lee Stempniak appeared in 21 regular season and 13 playoff games for the Pens in 2014; Tyler Kennedy spent seven seasons with the Pittsburgh organization from 2006-13 and was a member of the Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Championship team.
5. Damon Severson is set to play in his 100th NHL game tonight.
6. Pittsburgh has won three out of its last four and is 8-3-4 since Dec. 21. The Penguins are 5-0-2 over their last seven home games and are 13-7-4 at CONSOL Energy Center overall.