Here's what you need to know for tonight's game at Madison Square Garden:
1. Lou Lamoriello returns behind the Devils bench tonight for the first time since the end of the 2006-07 regular season and playoffs. He’ll be joined by returning coaches Scott Stevens and Adam Oates, who were announced today as new additions to the staff following the dismissals of Peter DeBoer and Dave Barr.
Stevens will handle the defensemen, while Oates will work with the forwards.
Lamoriello is 34-14-5 as Devils head coach. The team has reached the second round of the playoffs in the two previous times he has taken the helm.
2. Scott Gomez is set to play in his 1,000th NHL game tonight, becoming the 296th player in NHL history to do so. Of those 1,000 games, 561 will have been played with the Devils and 158 with the Rangers.
3. Dainius Zubrus (leg lacerations, eight games missed) and Jacob Josefson (groin, three games missed) will return to the lineup tonight. Zubrus is three games shy of 1,200 for his career.
4. Tonight’s contest is the second of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division rivals this season and the first of two to be played at Madison Square Garden. The Devils were 2-0-0 at MSG last season and lead the all-time series 86-79-27.
5. Cory Schneider is now 1-1-1 with one shutout, a 1.78 goals-against average & .931 save percentage in four career games vs. New York.
6. The Devils were 2-for-2 on the penalty kill vs. Carolina on Tuesday and is 27-for-29 (93.1%) over the past nine games.