New Jersey Devils 5 vs. New York Rangers 2
Attendance: 16,514 (sold out)
Three Stars: 1. Lee Stempniak 2. Sergey Kalinin 3. Joseph Blandisi
• New Jersey snapped its three-game losing streak and improved to 9-5-2=20pts over its last 16 games.
• The Devils won the season series over the Rangers 3-1-0=6pts.
• New Jersey reached the 30-win mark (30-24-7=67pts) and needs just two victories to match its total from all of last season (32-36-14=78pts).
• The Devils are 7-2-1=13pts over their last nine games at Prudential Center and are 15-12-4=34pts at The Rock overall.
• New Jersey is now 9-11-2=20pts vs. the Metropolitan Division this season, including 5-4-2=12pts at home.
• The Devils were 1/3 on the power play tonight and are 14/40 (35.0%) over their past 14 games.
• New Jersey outshot New York, 36-19, including a 17-5 margin in the second period. The Devils’ 17 shots in the second tied a season-high (Nov. 8 vs. Vancouver, 2nd period).
Cory Schneider (17 saves) tied his career-high with his 26th win of the season (also, 2014-15). He has allowed two goals or less in 34 of his last 44 starts since Oct. 29 and is 22-17-5 with four shutouts, a 2.01 goals-against average & .930 save-percentage during that stretch.
Tyler Kennedy gave the Devils a 1-0 lead 4:47 into the game, his second goal of the season/in the last four games.
Kyle Palmieri scored his team leading eighth power play goal/23rd overall at 10:28 of the second period to tie the game at 2-2. He has goals in back-to-back games (2g-1a-3pts) & 3g-1a-4pts over the past four contests.
Lee Stempniak scored his 16th goal of the season with 1:54 remaining in the second period to give New Jersey a 3-2 lead. It was his third game-winning goal of the season/second GWG vs. New York (also, Oct. 18, OT). Stempniak now has 4g-1a-5pts in five games vs. the Rangers since being traded on Mar. 1, 2015. He leads the Devils with 16g-25a-41pts overall.
Sergey Kalinin recorded the first Gordie Howe hat trick of his NHL career & is the first Devil to do so since Jordin Tootoo on Mar. 14, 2015 at Arizona. Kalinin scored his sixth goal of the year at 17:16 of the third to put New Jersey ahead 4-2. He assisted on Kennedy’s goal for his first assist/point since Jan. 19 vs. Calgary (11 appearances).
Adam Larsson scored an empty-netter & collected the secondary assist on Stempniak’s goal for his fourth multi-point game of the season. He also recorded a season-best +3 rating tonight. Larsson is second among Devils’ defensemen with 3g-12a-15pts this season.
Joseph Blandisi recorded 2a for his third multi-point game of the season. Blandisi has posted 4g-4a-8pts over the last 11 games & 5g-9a-14pts over the past 19 contests.
Andy Greene was credited with the primary assist on Kalinin’s goal. It was the 147th assist of his career, which ties Joe Cirella for fifth among Devils’ defensemen all-time. Brian Rafalski (267a) ranks fourth. Greene was +3 and saw a team-high 22:43 of TOI tonight.
Damon Severson, who was a healthy scratch in each of the previous two games, recorded the primary assist on Kennedy’s goal. It was Severson’s 13th assist of the season, which leads Devils’ defensemen.
Jacob Josefson registered a PPA on Palmieri’s goal. He has 2g-7a-9pts with the man-advantage this season and 3g-9a-12pts overall.
Adam Henrique recorded the secondary assist on Kalinin’s goal to snap a four-game point-less drought. He ranks third on the club with 19g-19a-38pts overall.
Travis Zajac was 13/18 (72.2%) in the face-off circle tonight.