New Jersey Devils 3 vs. New York Rangers 2
Devils win for the fifth time in their last six games.
Attendance - 16,514 (sold out)Team Notes
New Jersey has now won five of its last six games and improved to 26-20-5=57pts overall.
The Devils have allowed just ten goals-against over the last six games combined.
New Jersey is 7-4-0=14pts over its last 11 home games and is 12-10-3=27pts at The Rock overall.
The Devils improved to 2-0-0=4pts in the season series vs. New York & snapped a three-game winless stretch (0-2-1) vs. the Rangers at Prudential Center (last win, Oct. 19, 2013, 4-0).
New Jersey is now 7-7-1=15pts vs. the Metropolitan Division, including 4-2-1=9pts at home.
The Devils were 2/2 on the power play tonight and are 5/10 (50.0%) over the past four games.
New Jersey was 31/54 (57.4%) in the face-off circle and out hit the Rangers, 28-17.
The Rangers outshot the Devils 33-25, including 11-5 in the third period.
• Cory Schneider (31 saves) won for the sixth time in his last eight starts & improved to 23-15-5 overall. Schneider has now allowed two goals or less in 28 of his last 36 starts since Oct. 29 & is 19-13-4, with four shutouts, a 1.96 goals-against average & .932 save-percentage during that stretch.
• Lee Stempniak scored his 15th goal of the season/third power play goal at 1:34 of the second period to tie the game at 1-1. He added an assist on David Schlemko's game-winning goal for his eighth multi-point game. Stempniak has 6g-3a-9pts over the last seven games and is now tied (Michael Cammalleri, 14g-24a-38pts) for the team-lead with 15g-23a-38pts overall.
• Joseph Blandisi scored the second goal of his NHL career to tie the game at 2-2 at 3:13 of the third. He has 2g-5a-7pts over the last eight games.
• David Schlemko scored the first power play goal of his NHL career at 11:14 of the third period to give the Devils the victory. It was his third game-winning goal of the season/of his NHL career. Schlemko's 5g overall are a new career-high (4g, 2010-11). He has 5g-8a-13pts overall, which more than triples his point total from all of last season (1g-3a-4pts in 44 games), and needs just 1pt. to tie his career-high (4g-10a-14pts, 2010-11). Schlemko's 1g-7a-8pts on the power play are also a career-best. He has 1g-3a-4pts over the past four games.
• Andy Greene posted the primary assist on Blandisi's goal and now has 1g-2a-3pts over the last five games. With 146a in his Devils' career, Greene is now just 1a behind Joe Cirella for fifth-place in team history among defensemen. He led the Devils with a season-high five hits and with 27:24 of TOI tonight.
• Damon Severson picked up the secondary assist on Blandisi's marker and, with 1g-12a-13pts overall, remains tops on the club in scoring among defensemen (tie, Schlemko, 5g-8a-13pts).
• Eric Gelinas registered the primary assist on Stempniak's goal and has 2a over the past three games. He also led the Devils with four shots on goal tonight.
• Adam Henrique also assisted on Stempniak's tally and has 1g-2a-3pts over the last five contests. He has 1g-2a-3pts in two games vs. the Rangers this season.
• Tyler Kennedy posted an assist on Schlemko's game-winner and now has 1a in each of his last two appearances.
• Jacob Josefson won 10/14 (71.4%) of his face-offs tonight.