New Jersey Devils 2 at Minnesota Wild 1
Jon Merrill scores the game-winner, Cory Schneider makes 17 saves as Devils snap losing streak.Team Notes
• New Jersey snapped its three-game losing streak and improved to 21-17-5 on the season.
• The Devils are 4-3-1 over their last eight road games and are 12-7-2 away from Prudential Center overall.
• New Jersey is 7-7-1 vs. the Western Conference this season, including 3-2-0 on the road.
• The Devils also snapped a three-game losing streak at Xcel Energy Center (0-3-0, last win, Jan. 2, 2010, 5-3).
• The Devils won 21/41 (51.2%) faceoffs in the contest.
• Minnesota out shot New Jersey, 18-17, including 11-4 in the third period.
Cory Schneider (17 saves) made the start in goal and improved 11-5-2 on the road & to 18-13-5 on the season overall. He has allowed two goals or less in 22 of his last 29 starts since Oct. 29 and is 14-11-4 with three shutouts, a 2.02 goals-against average & .929 save-percentage during that stretch.
Adam Henrique scored his 15th goal of the season, an unassisted tally, at 1:21 of the third period to give the Devils a 1-0 lead. It was Henrique's second goal in the last three games and gives him 2g-2a-4pts over the last five contests.
Jon Merrill scored the game-winning goal at the 6:26 mark, his first goal since Dec. 13, 2014 at Dallas (82 games). Three of Merrill's five career goals have been game-winners. Merrill has 1g-2a-3pts over his last eight games after being held without a point over his first 25 appearances of the season.
Sergey Kalinin recorded the primary assist on Merrill's goal, his third assist/eighth point of the season. He also led the Devils with four hits tonight.
Kyle Palmieri also assisted on Merrill's goal and, with 17g-14a-31pts overall, has tied his career-high (also, 14g-17a-31pts, 2013-14).
Jim O'Brien was 11/13 (84.6%) in the face-off circle.
David Schlemko (lower body) and Tyler Kennedy (upper body) returned to the lineup after missing the previous two games due to injury.
Schlemko registered two blocked shots and one hit in 18:21 of action.
Kennedy saw 14:10 of TOI tonight.
Joseph Blandisi, who was recalled from Albany (AHL) yesterday, played in his fourth NHL game. He recorded one shot on goal, two PIM and was +1 in 14:50 of action.