Coyotes goalie Mike Smith, who has won three of his past four starts, did not dress for Saturday’s game at Winnipeg because of a lower-body injury he suffered in Thursday’s game at Montreal.
“I think it’s day-to-day,” Head Coach Dave Tippett said. “We’ll get him home and get him looked at. Hopefully he’s ready to practice on Monday but we don’t know that yet.”
Anders Lindback started in place of Smith, who played the entire Montreal game despite the injury. Lindback made 20 saves in a 3-2 loss to the Jets at the MTS Centre.
Marek Langhamer, whom the Coyotes selected with the 184th pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, served as Lindback’s backup. Arizona recalled him from the East Coast Hockey League on an emergency basis earlier on Saturday. Langhamer was about 500 miles away in Rapid City, South Dakota, and was the best goaltending option for the team on such short notice.
• The Coyotes dropped to 0-3-2 in five games played at Winnipeg since the Jets rejoined the NHL in 2011-12.
“We didn’t play good enough to win,” captain Shane Doan said. “We had opportunities but we gave them extra opportunities. They’ve got a pretty good team so you have to find a way to limit theirs and not give them so many chances.”
Defenseman Connor Murphy agreed.
“We got out-worked in the later part of the third,” Murphy said. “It’s easy to sit and complain about some penalties that went the other way … but they got on top of us and got big chances in the third that we shouldn’t have given up. We should have played a better road game.”
• Doan scored his sixth goal of the season – and his first in Winnipeg since 1995-96 – at 9:30 of the first period. Per SportsNet Stats, Doan, who played 74 games for the Winnipeg Jets in his rookie season before they moved to Arizona in 1996, and Jaromir Jagr are the only NHL players to score a goal at the MTS Centre & the old Winnipeg Arena.
• Murphy scored his first goal of the season at 15:49 of the first period. It was the sixth goal of his NHL career and his first since March 30 of last season vs. Buffalo. The Sabres goalie that night was Lindback.
• Zbynek Michalek tied Keith Yandle for the third-most games played (558) by a defenseman in franchise history. Teppo Numminen is tops on that list with 1,098 games played and Randy Carlyle is a very distant second with 564.
• Rookie Anthony Duclair assisted on Murphy’s goal to extend his point streak to a career-high four games. He also posted a four-game point streak in the first four games of the season.