Playing in the rink where he skated as an NHL All-Star last season, defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored his third goal of the season on Saturday night at Nationwide Arena in Columbus.
The goal, which he tallied at 5:49 of the second period, tied the game with the Blue Jackets at 2-2 and extended Ekman-Larsson’s point streak to a career-high five games. In that span, he has chipped in two goals and three assists to lift his point total to 12, which is tied for third best on the team.
• Captain Shane Doan, playing on the 20th anniversary of his first NHL goal, received a 10-minute misconduct penalty and a game misconduct penalty at 19:42 of the second period after he and members of the Blue Jackets – including Boone Jenner, who also received a 10-minute misconduct penalty – traded words during a scrum of players in front of the Columbus bench.
“I’m not sure what the 10-minute misconduct was for,” Doan said. “I don’t think Jenner understood what it was for either. Neither of us really knew what it was for.”
He added: “I didn’t say anything that I would feel ashamed of or anything like that. I never swore. I never said anything like that. It’s his prerogative. He has a right as a ref and I need to respect his authority, as much as I disagree with it. He has a right to do that.”
Before being ejected, Doan tied Harry Howell (1,411) for 30th place on the NHL’s all-time games played list.
• Rookie Max Domi earned points with his teammates by sticking up for goalie Mike Smith after Blue Jackets forward Jared Boll poked the puck under Smith’s glove late in the second period.
“It’s just a hockey play,” Domi said. “I think he was just finishing hard, trying to score a goal. When that happens to your goalie, you just back him up. That’s just how it is. Unfortunately I got a penalty out of it, but it is what it is and we’ll move forward now.”
• Forward Mikkel Boedker, who will turn 26 next month, played in his 400th career NHL game.
• Center Martin Hanzal notched his 14th assist of the season on Anthony Duclair’s goal in the first period. Hanzal’s career-high for assists in a season is 27, which he set as a rookie in 2007-08.
• Forward Steve Downie missed his third straight game because of an upper-body injury. He did not accompany the team on this four-game trip.