Wednesday, April 21, 2010GLENDALE, ARIZONA –
The Phoenix Coyotes will host the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 23 at Jobing.com Arena in Game 5 of their Western Conference Quarter-Final series. For every home playoff game, fans are encouraged to come to the game dressed in white in honor of the Coyotes’ “WhiteOut” tradition. In addition, white pom-poms will be distributed to all fans in attendance.
The best-of-seven Stanley Cup Playoff series between the Coyotes and Red Wings is currently tied at two games apiece.
Prior to the game, XTRA Sports 910 will hold an “Ultimate WhiteOut Fan” contest on the Westgate Plaza. At 6:15 p.m., several finalists will be invited on stage at the Westgate Plaza and fans will vote for the Ultimate WhiteOut Fan. The winner will receive one pair of lower level seats to the game. Contestants must check-in at the XTRA Sports 910 tent by 6:10 p.m.
The pre-game festivities will begin on the Westgate Plaza in front of Jobing.com Arena at 4 p.m. with live music. Aramark will have food and beverages for sale on the plaza and the Coyotes Den will be selling merchandise, including new WhiteOut items, both inside and outside of the Arena.
Coyotes Charities will be auctioning off a variety of WhiteOut-themed items to raise money, including autographed WhiteOut jerseys and hats, which will be available for bidding at the Coyotes Community Corner near the Coyotes Den team store on the main concourse. They will also be selling autographed “Mystery Pucks” at the Community Corner. Prior to the game on the plaza, Coyotes Charities will be selling WhiteOut rally towels, wigs, noisemakers, and leis, and will also have a face painter and white hair spray available for fans. WHITEOUT FAST FACTS
The WhiteOut is a tradition where Phoenix Coyotes fans dress in white clothing for all home playoff games. The tradition was created in Winnipeg when the team was known as the Jets, and carried over to Phoenix when the franchise moved to the Valley in 1996 and became the Coyotes.
- The WhiteOut was created by the Jets’ front office prior to the 1985 Playoffs, and the fans carried it on for each playoff season that followed.
- The first-ever WhiteOut took place on April 10, 1985 at Winnipeg Arena as the Jets defeated the Flames 5-4 in overtime, and the Jets went on to record their first playoff series win.
- The first WhiteOut in Phoenix took place on April 20, 1997 as the Coyotes defeated the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, 4-1 in Game 1 of their first round series.
- The first WhiteOut in Glendale was also the first regular season WhiteOut in franchise history as the Coyotes hosted the “Welcome Back WhiteOut” in the 2009-10 Home Opener at Jobing.com Arena on Oct. 10, 2009.
- The first playoff WhiteOut in Glendale took place April 14, 2010 when the Coyotes defeated the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 in Game 1 of their Western Conference Quarterfinal Series and will continue this Friday when Phoenix hosts Detroit in Game 5.
- Last Wednesday’s Game 1 WhiteOut was the first playoff WhiteOut for the Coyotes since April 24, 2002.
- There has been only one Game 7 WhiteOut in team history: May 4, 1999 vs. St. Louis (L, 1-0 OT).
- The player who has appeared in the most WhiteOut games in franchise history is Teppo Numminen, who was inducted into the Coyotes Ring of Honor earlier this year