Information, observations and anecdotes about the Coyotes
as told by Dave Vest, the team's V.P. of News Content
It is so cliché but it is so true. There is nothing better in professional sports than a Game 7 of a playoff series. On Tuesday night, we were treated to two of them and both were thrillers. Hours later, I’m still not sure how the Carolina Hurricanes actually scored two goals in the final 80 seconds to beat Martin Brodeur and eliminate the New Jersey Devils. How ironic that Brodeur’s triumphant and historic season ended in such a manner.
Here are some more thoughts and questions on the now-concluded first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs:
• I lost a little respect for Alex Ovechkin when he did that bush-league “My stick is on fire”
celeberation a few weeks back, but I’m glad he and the Washington Capitals made it to the second round. The NHL needs its biggest star to go deep into the playoffs and to shine on that stage.
• I am not THAT surprised No. 8 Anaheim beat No. 1 San Jose, for two reasons. 1. Anaheim was a formidable No. 8 seed what with three superstars - Teemu Selanne, Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer. 2. San Jose limped into the playoffs with consecutive losses to non-playoff teams and scored just four goals in regulation in its final three games of the regular season. Clearly something wasn’t right and the Sharks couldn’t figure it out.
• Tough guy Ben Eager played a major role in Chicago’s disposal of the Calgary Flames. Eager, who played only about nine minutes per game, had 16 hits in the series and gave the young Blackhawks a much-needed physical presence.
• That commercial with the four guys going crazy over the “beer closet” is hilarious.
• The good news for the Columbus Blue Jackets is that they finally made it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The bad news is they were outscored 18-7 by Detroit and swept four games to none. In other words, the team’s rally cry of “Carry the Flag” quickly became “Carry the White Flag” against the Wings.
• Just wondering: Has a puck ever gotten lost in Paul Mara’s beard?
• Coyotes TV Play-By-Play Announcer Dave Strader popped up in arenas all over the country working for Versus. Nice job Strades.
• So, will we ever see Jeremy Roenick play another NHL game or will he retire?
• Which conference semifinals series are you most excited to watch? I can’t wait for Detroit vs. Anaheim. Washington vs. Pittsburgh will be fun to witness, too.
Just a reminder to fans that phoenixcoyotes.com will continue to provide fresh and unique content on a regular basis during the off-season. Check back often.
Videos coming soon:
• Conference Semifinals Preview with Bob Heethuis and Tyson Nash
• ‘Yotes Quotes: Matthew Lombardi
• ‘Yotes Quotes: Ed Jovanovski
• Coyotes players playing basketball for charity
Thanks for reading, and please feel free to write me with any questions or comments.