GLENDALE – I spoke with Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney this morning and asked him for an update on the Shane Doan situation.
Doan, of course, is an unrestricted free agent who would love to re-sign with the team on a long-term basis. He hasn’t yet because he’s seeking clarity on the team’s ongoing ownership situation, which may or may not come this week.
Nevertheless, Maloney remains confident the long-time captain and face of the franchise will be back next season and beyond.
“I’ve been communicating with Shane and his agent on a regular basis since July 1 and I still believe we’ll get Shane signed,” Maloney told me.
Meanwhile, Maloney said the team still is considering adding a player or players via free agency or trade.
“We’re actively looking for a center-ice man,” Maloney said. “We’ll see if there’s something we can find out there… We have lots of roster flexibility and money to do some things with. But a lot depends on what happens with Shane, so time will tell.”
Center Daymond Langkow, who played 73 games for the Coyotes last season, still is unsigned. Maloney on Monday would not rule out his return to the Coyotes. Ditto for forward Gilbert Brule and defenseman Michal Rozsival, although it’s highly likely Rozsival, an unrestricted free agent, will sign with another team, perhaps as early as this week.
Maloney said he was not surprised forward Ray Whitney signed with another team just a few hours after free agency began on July 1. Steve Sullivan, whom the Coyotes signed on July 4, is a solid replacement for Whitney, Maloney said.
Like Sullivan, Maloney also believes free-agent signee David Moss is a terrific fit for the Coyotes.
“We think he can be a 15-20 goal scorer for us, and be a penalty killer and provide depth for us at center ice,” Maloney said. “David had to battle some injuries the past few years, but we like his character and we think he can be a good offensive player for us and provide secondary scoring.”
|Brett MacLean |
• I'm told prospect Brett MacLean, who has been hospitalized in Ontario since suffering a cardiac emergency last week, is improving daily. Doctors are testing to determine what exactly caused MacLean, 23, to collapse on the ice during a pick-up hockey game with friends on July 2.
Over the weekend, MacLean let his Twitter followers know how he was doing with the following tweets:
“Slowly starting to feel better. Thank you to all the paramedics, doctors and nurses who haves helped me get this far. Feeling very lucky. Also thank you to everyone for the support and well wishes. Truly means a lot to me and my family through this tough time."
Fans can follow MacLean on Twitter at @mackattack_39.
► Click here to read more about what happened to MacLean on July 2.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Contact Dave Vest at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter at @davest4yotes.