Coyotes (28-28-5) vs. Jets (37-20-4)
On the night Arizona will salute former captain Shane Doan, the Coyotes also will play Winnipeg on Sunday in the first of seven consecutive games in Glendale.
WHERE: Gila River Arena | WHEN: 7 p.m. (AZ time) | TV: FOX Sports Arizona | RADIO: AZ Sports 98.7 FM
ABOUT THE 'YOTES:
• Arizona will enter the game with 61 points, four behind Colorado for the second wildcard spot in the Western Conference standings, with 21 games to play.
• Two hours before puck drop, the Coyotes will stage an on-ice ceremony to officially retire Doan's No. 19 jersey and raise it to the rafters. Doan played a record 1,540 games for the Coyotes/Jets franchise from 1995-2017, and is the team's all-time leader in goals (402), assists (570) and points (972).
"It's a great day for 'Doaner,'" Head Coach Rick Tocchet said. "To see what he's accomplished over the years, we love it. The hard part is to get your head back into the game (after the ceremony). I don't know what's going to happen. Some guys use that as juice, some guys use it as inspiration. I hope our team takes it that way because we're playing a top team and we've got to be focused."
RELATED CONTENT: Season Hinges On Lengthy Homestand
• Darcy Kuemper will start in goal seeking his fourth win in a row. He stopped 87 of 91 shots in consecutive victories over Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver. Kuemper has notched 11 of his career-high 16 victories since New Year's Day; only three other goalies have won more games during that span.
• Oliver Ekman-Larsson has notched eight of his 109 NHL goals vs. Winnipeg. Doan, by the way, assisted on half of those eight goals.
Video: OEL Values Time Spent With Doan On And Off Ice
• Alex Galchenyuk is leading the Coyotes with 14 goals, despite missing 10 games because of injuries. Galchenyuk has scored more goals in February (23) than in any other month of the season during his seven-year NHL career.
• The Coyotes will attempt to end a five-game losing streak to the Jets that includes a 5-3 defeat at Winnipeg on Oct. 20. Arizona last defeated the Jets, 4-3, on Jan. 13, 2017.
ABOUT THE JETS:
• Winnipeg will enter the game with 78 points, which ranks first in the Central Division and third in the Western Conference ... The Jets have scored 207 goals, and rank fourth in the NHL in power-play efficiency at 25.3 percent ... Blake Wheeler leads Winnipeg and ranks tied for 11th in the NHL with 71 points, including 59 assists. Only Tampa Bay's Nikita Kucherov has dished out more helpers (70) this season ... Mark Scheifele has scored a team-high 30 goals, two shy of his career-high with 21 games to play ... Dustin Byfuglien has notched 30 points in 37 games and leads the team in average ice time at 24:26 per game ... Brandon Tanev has delivered 209 hits, fifth most in the League ... Connor Hellebuyck is 4-1-0 with a 2.73 goals-against average and a .902 save percentage in six career games vs. the Coyotes ... Paul Maurice won his 685th game as an NHL head coach on Friday to pass Pat Quinn for the eighth-most wins in NHL history.
Video: Coyotes Eager For Doan Ceremony, Game vs. Jets
• "I really like the way our team has been playing lately. We've been defending really well and not giving up too much. But we've got to get going here at home. Our home record is not where it should be. If we want to get into the playoffs, we've got to win a lot of these games on this homestand." -- Nick Cousins
• "Obviously the career that Shane Doan has had and the influence he's had on this organization and hockey in Arizona, it's going to be a special night. I think all the guys in here know how to deal with things like that, and we know what's at stake after the ceremony, and the guys will be ready for it." -- Jordan Oesterle
• "Winnipeg is going to be going through the same thing we are so it's not like they're going to be at an advantage. We're both going to go through the ceremony, which is going to be awesome. That's something that is very special. We're all excited for it. I had the chance to play with 'Doaner' for a year, and he's a guy that I look up to, and every guy in this room looks up to, and we're happy for him." -- Jakob Chychrun
Video: Tocchet Praises Doan For Being 'A Team Guy'