GLENDALE – Forward Rob Klinkhammer scored his first NHL goal in his first game with Phoenix on Saturday night to cap a busy and memorable week for personal milestones among the Coyotes.
Klinkhammer, who entered the game with 16 games on his NHL resume, netted his first career goal at 7:31 of the second period to give the Coyotes a 2-0 lead. They won 2-1.
“I couldn’t ask for it to happen any better, it was a great game,” Klinkhammer said. “The whole game I was into it and the fans were into it… I was having a lot of fun out there.”
Meanwhile, Captain Shane Doan recently reached a couple of milestones.
First, Doan notched his 800th NHL point on March 4 when he scored a goal in the third period vs. Anaheim.
Asked to reflect on his feat, Doan smiled and said: "It means you've been around a long time, that's about it. I probably should have gotten there a lot sooner but I'm there finally."
|Shane Doan shows the puck he used to notch his 800th NHL point. Photo by Norm Hall. |
That same goal also was his 324th with the team and it moved him into sole possession of second place on the franchise’s all-time goal scoring list behind only Dale Hawerchuk (379).
Some other recent milestones reached:
* Defenseman Keith Yandle scored a power-play goal in the second period of the game vs. Anaheim on March 4. It was the 200th point of Yandle’s NHL career.
* Center Antoine Vermette scored his 150th NHL goal on March 4 vs. Anaheim.
* Forward Paul Bissonnette played in his 150th NHL game on March 7 vs. St. Louis.
* Forward Chris Brown made his NHL debut on March 4 vs. Anaheim to become just the fifth Texan to play in the NHL. The others are: Brian Leetch, Mike Christie, Tyler Myers and Zach Redmond.
* Looking ahead, Coyotes forward Steve Sullivan is just nine games from playing in his 1,000th NHL game. Sullivan, who signed with Phoenix in the off-season, has played for six teams – New Jersey, Toronto, Chicago, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Phoenix - since breaking into the League in 1995. Meanwhile, goalie Mike Smith will play in his 250th NHL game on Tuesday vs. Los Angeles.