Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Arizona Coyotes


by Staff Writer / Arizona Coyotes
Watch exclusive post-game videos:

  • Head Coach Wayne Gretzky - Post Game Press Conference: 300K / 700K
  • Zbynek Michalek - Post Game Interview: 300K / 700K
  • David Spina - Post Game Interview: 300K / 700K
(LW) Mike York - (C) Steven Reinprecht - (RW) Shane Doan
(D) Ed Jovanovski - (D) Keith Ballard

(LW) Wojtek Wolski - (C) Tyler Arnason - (RW) Marek Svatos
(D) Kurt Sauer - (D) Jordan Leopold

Phoenix - Mikael Tellqvist
Colorado - Peter Budaj

Photo Credit: Norm Hall/Coyotes
Through the first seven minutes of the opening period, the Phoenix Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche traded rushes into the offensive zone, but with little to show for it as tough defense and missed opportunities gave way to just three shots on goal (Phoenix 2, Colorado 1).

Midway through the first, Colorado's Paul Stastny had a great scoring chance when he intercepted a clearing attempt from inside the Coyotes zone and rushed toward the net on a breakaway.  Fortunately, goaltender Mikael Tellqvist was able to make the save and keep the Avalanche off the scoreboard.

Looking to inject their clubs with some energy, Phoenix' Daniel Carcillo and Colorado's Cody McLeod dropped the gloves with 8:50 left in the period.  The fight wouldn't last long as Carcillo landed a couple quick shots that dropped McLeod to the ice, where the officials were able to step in.  Both men received five-minute fighting majors for their efforts.

At 13:14 of the first, the Coyotes power play unit saw their first action of the night when Avalanche defenseman Johnny Boychuk was called for hooking.  On the ensuing man-advantage, Phoenix was able to establish some pressure in front of the net, including a trio of shots near the six-minute mark, but netminder Peter Budaj held his ground and kept the game tied at 0-0.

Photo Credit: Ross D. Franklin
With just 40-seconds left in the period, the Avalanche again found themselves shorthanded as center Ken Roche was called for hooking.  While the Coyotes would be unable to convert on the late power play, they would begin the second period with the extra attacker.

Early in the second period, the Avalanche continued making trips to the penalty box, giving the Coyotes' offense an opportunity to establish pressure in the offensive zone.

At 1:30 of the first, and with 1:15 left on a penalty to Colorado's Wojtek Wolski, the Avs found themselves on the wrong end of a five-on-three advantage as blueliner Jeff Jillson was whistled for hooking.  The Coyotes power play went to work, flooding the Colorado net with a series of shots, before defenseman Derek Morris was able to take a cross-ice feed from Martin Hanzal and blast it past Budaj for a 1-0 Coyotes lead.

Less than three minutes later, the Avalanche tied the game on a power play goal by Marek Svatos as Derek Morris was serving a cross-checking penalty.

At 7:27 of the seocnd, the Avalanche took their first lead of the night when Paul Stastny scored his first goal of the season, just seconds after Phoenix had been issued a power play.

The Coyotes would even the score at 2-2- 13:11 of the stanza when Morris' blast from the point was tipped in front of the goal by Mathias Tjarnqvist and deflected past Colorado netminder Tyler Weiman.  Mike Zigomanis record the secondary assist on the goal.

With 4:57 to play in the second, Colorado reclaimed the lead as Wolski's shot form the left face-off circle, found it's way past goalie David LeNeveu, who had come into the game in relief of Mikael Tellqvist, to make it a 3-2 game.

Photo Credit: Ross D. Franklin
Despite a couple of late power play opportunities at both ends of the ice, neither club would strike again as the players left the ice after 40-minutes of play with the Coyotes trailing by one.

In the third period, the pace of play picked up considerably as the Coyotes tried to find a game-tying goal and the Avalanche tried likewise to add an insurance tally.  Through the first half of the period, both teams had recorded a number of scoring chances, but were unable to find the back of the net and the period reached the nine-minute mark with Colorado still leading, 3-2.

The Coyotes continued to crash the Avalanche net and create havoc for netminder Tyler Weiman, but the Avs stood their ground on the strength of timly saves and some fortunate bounces, holding off the Phoenix attack as the game entered the final minutes.

During the final minute of regulation, the Coyotes pulled LeNeveu from the goal in favor of an extra attacker and bombarded the Colorado net, a strategy that paid off with just half-a-second remaining as defenseman Ed Jovanovski was able to grab a loose puck at the side of the net and flip it into the net to tie the game at 3-3 and force overtime.

Overtime featured more back and forth play as the clubs tried to avoid a shootout.  Then with just 47-seconds left in the extra frame, Paul Stastny snapped a shot into the Phoenix net for his second goal of the game as the Coyotes fell to the Avs by the final score of 4-3.

View More