Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Arizona Coyotes


by Staff Writer / Arizona Coyotes
By: Chad Lynch

Photo Credit: AP Photo/ Jeff McIntosh

Phoenix - Mikael Tellqvist
Calgary - Jamie McLennan

On Monday night, the Phoenix Coyotes dropped a 5-2 decision in the second game of a home-and-home series with the Calgary Flames.

Over the course of the first five minutes of the game, the Coyotes and Flames spent the majority of the time trading rushes into the offensive zone. However, neither club would be able to generate much in the way of scoring opportunities keeping the pressure off both goaltenders.

At 6:40 of the first, the Calgary Flames took the first power play of the game when Phoenix captain Shane Doan was dealt a questionable slashing penalty. The Coyotes would kill off most of the penalty to Doan before defenseman Keith Ballard took his first penalty for tripping a Flames' forward in front of the net. As a result of Ballard's infraction, Calgary would have a five-on-three advantage for 14-seconds.

Calgary would be unable to convert on the two-man advantage, but just over a minute into the penalty to Ballard, the Flames were able to make the first mark on the scoreboard when forward Alex Tanguay made a pass form the left hand boards, that found a way through a crowd of bodies in the Coyotes crease and onto the stick of David Moss. Moss needed three swipes at the puck before finally being able to slip the puck past Tellqvist and into the net for a 1-0 lead.

Phoenix tried to answer the Flames tally by flooding the net with shots from around the offensive zone. But despite the heavy number of shots reaching the net, Calgary netminder Jamie McLennan was able to withstand the pressure and protect the Flames one-goal lead.

With 1:47 left in the opening frame, the Coyotes found themselves shorthanded for the third time when left wing Oleg Saprykin was called for charging after laying a big hit on Flames defenseman Roman Hamrlik inside the Calgary zone. The penalty would prove costly for Phoenix as Calgary's Kristian Huselius fired a wrist shot from the left face-off circle, which beat Tellqvist on the far side of the net, deflected of the goal post and into the Coyotes goal for a 2-0 Flames lead.

The final seconds of the period would run off the clock without an further offensive chances for either club, resulting in a 2-0 Calgary lead after 20-minutes of play.

Early in the second period, the Flames received a scare when a slap shot from the point by Phoenix defenseman Matt Jones, was tipped en-route to the net and deflected off the face of Calgary's Robyn Regehr. Regehr quickly made his way to the Flames bench where he was then taken to the locker room for further medical treatment.

With 5:27 gone in the second, the Flames took a three-goal lead when a turnover by Jeremy Roenick behind the Coyotes net, resulted in Calgary's Wayne Primeau stealing the puck, racing in on Tellqvist and lifting a backhand into the net for his 8th goal of the season and first as a Flame.

Two minutes later, Phoenix would get their chance on the man-advantage when Calgary's Daymond Langkow was sent to the box for holding. The Coyotes needing a to take advantage of the man-advantage to climb back into the game did just that when Derek Morris' shot from the point was tipped in front of the Calgary crease by Yanic Perreault and sent past McLennan for his 19th goal of the season.

Four minutes after the goal by Perreault, the Flames offense returned, scoring twice within 40-seconds to increase their lead to 5-1. Defenseman Andrei Zyuzin struck first at 12:08 of the second when his one-timer from the point found a path through a screen set in front of Tellqvist by Stephane Yelle and into the net for his first goal of the season. Then at 12:48, Wayne Primeau recorded his second goal of the game when another turnover inside the Phoenix zone, allowed Flame forward Tony Amonte to dish a pass off to Primeau at the right side of the slot, where it was quickly shot over the blocker of Tellqvist and into the Coyotes net.

Late in the second period, the Coyotes penalty-killing unit was called upon again, this time to kill off a double minor incurred by Derek Morris for hooking and unsportsmanlike conduct. The final 90-seconds of the period would expire with the Coyotes holing the Flames attack at a distance and preparing to start the final period shorthanded.

The Coyotes began the third, with Morris still in the penalty box for two-and-a-half minutes. Phoenix continued their strong penalty kill from the end of the second, limiting the offensive chances of the Flames until they could return to full strength.

Once back at five-on-five hockey, the Coyotes were able to take their second try at the power play when the Flames were handed a bench minor for too-many men on the ice. Unfortunately, the Coyotes just couldn't get the puck past McLennan and the flames preserved their four-goal lead.

At 13:18 of the third, the Coyotes were able to cut into the Calgary lead when center Steven Reinprecht took a drop pass from Doan, circled around to the slot and slid a wrist shot through the screen and past McLennan to make it a 5-2 game.

The remainder of the third period, featured the Coyotes and Flames trading offensive attacks, but there would be no more scoring at either end of the ice as phoenix dropped at 5-2 decision in Calgary.

View More