2012-13 Coyotes Prospects Report: 12/10/2012
The Portland Pirates, the Coyotes’ top affiliate in the American Hockey League, just keep winning.
Thanks to goals by captain Alexandre Bolduc and Andy Miele, and 39 saves by goalie Mark Visentin, the Pirates posted a 2-1 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Saturday night in Portland, Maine.
It was the 10th win in the past 12 games for the Pirates, who lead the AHL’s Atlantic Division with 42 points.
|Mark Visentin |
Visentin, a rookie backup who has played his way into a platoon system with veteran Chad Johnson, has won five straight starts and has allowed just five goals in those games; he has stopped 160 of 165 shots during his hot streak.
Bolduc’s goal on Saturday was his second in as many nights and his team-high 16th of the season.
The victory came less than 24 hours after the Pirates dropped a 3-2 decision at Providence.
Bolduc and Rob Klinkhammer scored power-play goals in the game, which Portland led 2-1 until late in the second period.
The Pirates outshot Providence 33-30 in the loss.
Portland started 2013 with a come-from-behind, 2-1 victory over Providence in a makeup game on Jan. 2. The game was snowed out on Dec. 27.
Visentin stopped an eye-popping 48 of 49 shots in the victory, and Miele and Jordan Szwarz scored the goals.
• Defensemen Oliver Ekman-Larsson did not play in Saturday’s game. It was the fifth straight game he missed because of a lower-body injury. Ekman-Larsson, who has notched seven goals and 14 assists in 20 games with Portland, is expected to travel to Phoenix to rejoin the Coyotes.
• Defenseman Michael Stone is leading the Pirates with 96 shots on goal in 30 games.
• Former Coyotes prospect Brett MacLean, who recently retired from hockey because of a heart condition, dropped the ceremonial first puck before Saturday’s game in Portland.
• Click here to see complete team stats.
Six prospects are playing for the Gwinnett Gladiators:
• Goalie Mike Lee is 11-9-1 with a 2.06 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
• Goalie Louis Domingue is 11-3-0 with a 2.77 goals-against average and a .901 save percentage.
• Forward Evan Bloodoff has 12 goals and 13 assists in 33 games.
• Forward Scott Arnold has three goals and five assists in nine games.
• Defenseman Justin Weller has one goal and one assist in 30 games.
• Forward Maxime Villemaire has one assist in 15 games.
Canadian Hockey League
Eight prospects are playing junior hockey for Canadian Hockey League teams:
• Forward Andrew Fritsch has 11 goals and 12 assists in 30 games for Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
• Defenseman Justin Hache has three goals and 15 assists in 41 games for Cape Breton (QMJHL)
• Forward Kale Kessy has 11 goals and nine assists in 30 games for Vancouver (WHL) and Kamloops (WHL)
• Forward Lucas Lessio (injured) has seven goals and six assists in 13 games for Oshawa (OHL)
• Defenseman James Melindy has three goals and nine assists in 40 games for Moncton (QMJHL)
• Defenseman Connor Murphy has six goals and 12 assists in 33 games for Sarnia (OHL)
• Forward Henrik Samuelsson has 22 goals and 25 assists in 40 games for Edmonton (WHL)
• Goalie Marek Langhamer is 7-9-1 with a 3.62 goals-against average and a .890 save percentage for Medicine Hat (WHL)
• Forward Samuel "Hunter" Fejes has two goals and three assists in 19 games for Colorado College (WCHA)
• Defenseman Rhett Holland (injured) has played three games for Michigan State (CCHA)
• Forward Zac Larraza has two goals and five assists in 18 games for University of Denver (WCHA)
• Forward Viktor Tikhonov has six goals and eight assists in 19 games for St. Petersburg.
European Elite Leagues
• Defenseman Jonas Ahnelov has one goal and four assists in 33 games for Modo (SWE)
• Forward Vladimir Ruzicka has four goals and 16 assists in 34 games for Slavia Praha (CZECH)
• Forward Alexander Ruuttu has eight goals and 16 assists in 31 games for Kiekko-Vantaa (FIN D1) and has played four games for Jokerit (SM-liiga)
• Defenseman Niklas Tikkinen has three goals and 10 assists in 10 games for Espoo (Jr. A SM-liiga), six assists in 11 games for Espoo (SM-liiga), one goal and two assists in five games for HCK (Finland2), and three assists in two games for LeKi (Finland2).