Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Washington Capitals

This Date in Caps History - October 25

by Mike Vogel / Washington Capitals

On October 25, 1988 the Washington Capitals raised their season record to 3-6-0 with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver.

Washington's Dale Hunter opened the scoring with his second goal of the young season at 3:06 of the first period. Kevin Hatcher picked up the lone assist. The Canucks answered at 10:23 on Brian Bradley's power play goal, evening the score at 1-1. Defenseman Kent Carlson, playing in what would be his second and final game in a Washington uniform and his final game in the National Hockey League, scored the go-ahead goal for the Caps at 14:41 with Mike Gartner and Mike Ridley assisting. With less than two minutes remaining in the opening period, Washington's Dave Christian gave his team a 3-1 lead when he netted his eighth goal of the season. Hatcher and Bengt Gustafsson received assists on Christian's tally. Vancouver had 17 shots against Washington goaltender Clint Malarchuk in the first while the Caps countered with 14 shots on the Canucks' Kirk McLean.

Canucks head coach Bob McCammon pulled McLean in favor of backup Steve Weeks to start the second period. Vancouver pulled to within a goal at 5:36 of the middle period when Tony Tanti scored on a Canucks power play. Eighteen-year-old center Trevor Linden picked up the primary assist. Less than two minutes later, Tanti struck again. He scored his second of the night and fourth of the season to knot the game at 3-3. The Canucks poured 10 shots at Malarchuk in the second while Washington managed just five against Weeks.

The two clubs played scoreless hockey in the third period. Washington doubled up Vancouver in third period shots on goal, 14-7.

The Capitals got a break in overtime when Canucks' defenseman Harold Snepsts was whistled for cross-checking at 1:08. Ridley scored for the Caps on the ensuing power play, beating Weeks with his eighth goal of the season. KellyMiller and Scott Stevens picked up the helpers on the game-winner. The Caps had both overtime shots on goal and left the building with a slim 35-34 advantage in that category for the evening.

Tanti's two goals earned him first star honors. Malarchuk was named the game's second star on the strength of his 31-save performance. Bradley was the game's third star.

View More