Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Washington Capitals

This Date in Caps History - December 19

by Mike Vogel / Washington Capitals

On December 19, 1975, the Philadelphia Flyers defeated the Washington Capitals by a 7-5 score before a sellout crowd of 18,130 at the Capital Centre in Landover.

Former Flyer Bill Clement got Washington on the board first when he beat Philly's Wayne Stephenson at 3:57 of the first period. Tony White and Hartland Monahan assisted on Clement's goal. Philadelphia's Bill Barber evened the count at 8:18 when he tucked one behind Washington goaltender Bernie Wolfe. Just over a minute later, Washington regained the lead when Bob Sirois beat Stephenson with help from Willie Brossart and Ace Bailey. It was Sirois's first goal as a Capital. At 13:19, Rick MacLeish tied the game for the Flyers to complete the first period scoring. Philadelphia outshot Washington by a grotesque margin of 21-3 in the first but the Caps stayed in the game by scoring on two of their three shots.

Washington regained the lead again at 2:35 of the second when Bailey scored with an assist from Sirois. At 7:58, Harvey Bennett scored his first goal as a Capital to give Washington a 4-2 lead. Bennett's goal came on the power play and with assists from Greg Joly and Nelson Pyatt. But the Caps were unable to deal with the prosperity. Beginning at 14:14 of the second, Philly scored three goals in a span of just 2:26 to take a 5-5 lead. Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach and MacLeish were the Flyers' goal scorers in the second period. With only 14 seconds left in the period, the Capitals' Blair Stewart tied it with helpers from Yvon Labre and Pyatt. The Flyers outshot the Caps 18-12 in the second period.

Barber scored his second of the game at the three-minute mark of the third to give the Flyers a lead they would not relinquish. At 17:11, MacLeish completed his hat trick and made the score 7-5 in favor of the Flyers.

The Flyers outshot the Caps by a staggering 54-22 margin as Washington again failed to register its first-ever win over Philadelphia. Barber had 10 shots on goal, Clarke had nine and MacLeish and Leach registered five each.

View More