Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Washington Capitals

Senators Swipe Two Points in Final Three Seconds

by Scott Stuccio / Washington Capitals

HERSHEY, Pa. – The Binghamton Senators scored twice on the power play – Derek Grant’s tally coming with 2.3 seconds remaining on the clock – helping the visitors steal a 3-2 win against the HERSHEY BEARS on Sunday evening at GIANT Center.

The BEARS earned the first power play of the game but it was Binghamton cashing in. Dmitry Orlov was forced to dive to try to keep a pass inside the offensive zone, but the puck eluded him, springing Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Corey Cowick alone on Philipp Grubauer. After two passes, Pageau tapped the puck home at 11:09, giving the Senators a 1-0 lead.

Forward Jon Kalinski had a great opportunity to tie the game while working on the BEARS first penalty kill. Kalinski was sent on a breakaway from the neutral zone, but Binghamton goaltender Marc Cheverie came up with a big glove save.

HERSHEY would get on the board in the second period thanks to hard work down low. After Ryan Stoa was denied by Cheverie at the left side of the crease, the puck came behind the net for Peter LeBlanc. LeBlanc banked a shot in from the goal line for his sixth goal of the season at 4:23, tying the game.

The BEARS took the lead at 7:27 while working their third power play. Casey Wellman held the puck on a line rush and launched a snap shot from long range that beat Cheverie over the glove for his 12th goal of the campaign.

From the midway point of the second period through most of the third, the BEARS owned the possession time and played a solid game. But the team got into penalty trouble late. First, on a tripping penalty to Stoa, Shane Prince got a stick on a Brett Lebda point shot, and deflected it through Grubauer’s pads to tie the game with 3:37 left to play.

Patrick McNeill would be called for a slash deep in the BEARS zone, and the Senators again embarked on the power play. Just as the advantage expired, Pat Cannone worked the puck from the left corner across the slot to Grant, who lifted it over Grubauer for the game-winner.

Grubauer stopped 27 shots but fell to 8-5-0. Cheverie made 28 saves on 30 shots, and improved to 4-3-0. The BEARS finished 1-for-4 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.

The HERSHEY BEARS return home Saturday, March 16 for a 7:00 PM faceoff against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Individual tickets are available at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online at

View More