NEW YORK (December 16, 2014) –The National Hockey League (NHL®), in conjunction with the city of Washington, D.C., will extend the celebration of the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®, the Jan. 1 outdoor game between the Chicago Blackhawks® and the Washington Capitals®, with Spectator Plaza presented by GEICO, a free fan festival to be held just outside of Nationals Park on game day.
From 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, Jan. 1, the Fairgrounds, an outdoor multipurpose event space across the street from Nationals Park that offers games, food trucks, and live music before and after every Nationals game, will transform into a hockey and entertainment festival for fans of all ages with live musical performances; interactive hockey-themed attractions, prizes and giveaways; food and beverages; and retail tents with an extensive selection of officially-licensed 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® merchandise and collectibles.
As the League and its partners announce their fan activation plans for New Year’s Day, attractions at Spectator Plaza presented by GEICO will include:
· Bridgestone: The Bridgestone Experience at the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® will highlight the new Blizzak WS80 winter tire and allows fans to show their passion for hockey through a variety of activities. Show your skills at our virtual slap shot, try your hand at the latest hockey video games, and get a picture taken at the Bridgestone Penalty Box inside the stadium that you can send to your friends.
· GEICO: Visit the GEICO NHL Fan Zone™ to take a picture with the GEICO Gecko, play Pinball, show off your wrist shot and win free prizes. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance; GEICO is a proud partner of the NHL®.
· Reebok: The Reebok-CCM booth will feature CCM’s three distinct stick lines: the CCM RIBCOR, featuring a ribbed shaft technology to help increase power transfer from your hands directly to the puck; the CCM Tacks, characterized by an unsurpassed accuracy put forward by its ATTACKFRAME; and the CCM RBZ Superfast, featuring the Taylormade Speed Pocket technology for the fastest shot a CCM stick has ever provided. Fans also will be able to dress up as a Capitals or the Blackhawks player with gear provided by Reebok-CCM.
· Oscar Mayer: Stop by the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile for a free photo.
· Honda: Visit the Honda display to see the restyled Honda CR-V, Motor Trend’s 2015 Sport / Utility of the year. Fans can also enter a sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the 2015 NHL Awards™ show in Las Vegas. Honda, the Official Vehicle of the NHL.
· Enterprise: Join Enterprise CarShare to create an instant highlight of your game-winning save on the slow motion video grab and take home an NHL Winter Classic keepsake. While testing your skills behind the goal, learn more about the membership-based car sharing program and how to take advantage of Enterprise’s limited time offer.
· McDonalds: The McDonald’s Fry Truck will roll up with free samples of their World Famous Fries for fans and visitors.
· MillerCoors: Molson Canadian, the Official Imported Beer of the NHL, is offering the full hockey experience inside the Molson Canadian Hockey House at Spectator Plaza. Fans are invited to share their love of hockey with interactive games, an 8-foot replica of an official NHL puck and ice-cold Molson Canadian available for purchase to fans 21 years and older.
· MillerCoors Responsibility: Add your name to the Responsibility Puck and join thousands of NHL fans making the pledge to never drive drunk and always have a designated driver with Coors Light, the official beer of NHL, and TEAM Coalition. Receive a souvenir photo and be entered to win an NHL prize pack when you make the pledge. To encourage responsibility, Coors Light, in partnership with WRAP (Washington Regional Alcohol Program), is purchasing and distributing Metro SmarTrip cards throughout the month of December to help fans get to the game safely.
· YORK: York Heating and Air Conditioning will help “heat up” Spectator Plaza with the York Hot Shot Challenge, where fans will test their shooting skills against a goalie target. Fans also can view an exclusive 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® exhibit from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Fans who participate in the challenge or experience the Hockey Hall of Fame exhibit will receive a York Foam Hockey Stick Hat, while supplies last.
· Upper Deck: Celebrate Upper Deck’s 25th Anniversary by making your very own hockey trading card. Stop by the Upper Deck booth to get your free personalized trading card, play some fun games and check out the latest and greatest in hockey cards.
· NHL GameCenter LIVE: NHL GameCenter LIVE™ offers a great place for spectators to relax and experience NHL GameCenter LIVE™ and NHL Vault™ on a variety of devices and screens, including tablets, smartphones and Xbox One. While they watch, fans can take their best shot on the NHL GameCenter LIVE™ Nok hockey table.
· NHL Network: NHL Network™ and Xfinity are sending a lucky winner and his/her guest on an “Ultimate Hockey Weekend.” The trip will include visits to a Toronto Maple Leafs® game, The Hockey Hall of Fame, and the set of NHL Tonight™. Stop by the NHL Network/Xfinity area to pick up a free 2015 calendar which includes your entry for a chance to win.
· Merchandise: Retail tents within Spectator Plaza and retail trailers on Half Street will feature an extensive selection of officially-licensed 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® merchandise and collectibles. Discover Card Members will receive 10% off any NHL Winter Classic product purchase at Spectator Plaza retail locations when paying with a Discover Card.
· Ticketmaster: Hockey players of all skill levels can try their luck at shooting pucks into an old washing machine and dryer – just like the pros – at the Ticketmaster Target Practice Challenge.
· AMP: Get energized for the NHL Winter Classic with a free sample of AMP Energy, available at Spectator Plaza. AMP delivers the energy you need without the bull. AMP Energy - No Bull. Just Energy.
· Washington Capitals: The Washington Capitals will have alumni on hand at Spectator Plaza to sign autographs throughout the morning. Come visit our area and get your face painted, try out your hockey skills at the slapshot cage and have a chance to win autographed Caps items. Slapshot™ and the Red Rockers will also be available in this area for photos.
Party Like It’s, a high-energy, eight piece Ska cover band from D.C., will play a mix of current hits and classic songs during the pre-game celebration at Spectator Plaza presented by GEICO beginning at 10 a.m.
Food Network star, lifelong hockey fan and owner of the Charm City Cakes in Baltimore, Md., Duff Goldman, will bring something sweet to Spectator Plaza presented by GEICO on Jan. 1.
Spectator Plaza presented by GEICO, a free outdoor hockey and entertainment fan festival in celebration of the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®
Thursday, Jan 1, 2014 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET
The Fairgrounds, outside the Center Field Gate at Nationals Park, and along Half St. (Metro Stop: Navy Yard-Ballpark)
More information on the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®:
Now an established tradition on the New Year’s Day sports calendar, hockey’s biggest stars – including Alex Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane – will take center stage in the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®. The game will be broadcast live nationally on NBC in the United States and on CBC and TVA in Canada on 1 p.m. ET on Jan. 1. NHL.com and NHL Network will deliver comprehensive coverage of both teams as the event approaches. For the latest on the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®, fans should follow the NHL on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat and join the conversation by using the official hashtag #WinterClassic.