ARLINGTON, Va. - Several Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia-area rinks will participate in USA Hockey's Try Hockey for Free Day on Saturday, Feb. 23.
More than 300 rinks across the country will invite boys and girls ages four to nine years old to "Try Hockey for Free" with clinics aimed to help kids experience ice hockey for the first time and learn the basics of the sport in a fun, safe environment.
The event is part of Hockey Week Across America, created by USA Hockey in 2008 to engage the hockey community in celebrating the sport at all levels and expose the game to new audiences. The yearly nationwide initiative - now in its 12th year - will take place Feb. 17-24.
Area rinks participating in Try Hockey for Free Day on Feb. 23 include:
- Bowie Ice Arena - Bowie, Md.
- Capital Clubhouse - Waldorf, Md.
- Chilled Ponds Ice Sports Complex - Chesapeake, Va.
- The Gardens Ice House - Laurel, Md.
- Hagerstown Ice & Sports Complex - Hagerstown, Md.
- Hampton Roads Iceplex - Yorktown, Va.
- Haymarket Iceplex - Haymarket, Va.
- Herbert Wells Ice Rink - College Park, Md.
- Iceland of Hampton Roads - Virginia Beach, Va.
- Ice World - Abingdon, Md.
- Mt. Pleasant Ice Arena - Baltimore, Md.
- Piney Orchard Ice Arena - Odenton, Md.
- Talbot County Community Center - Easton, Md.
- Skate Frederick - Frederick, Md.
To register for one of the Try Hockey for Free opportunities, please visit www.TryHockeyForFree.com.