CANUCKS VS PENGUINS PREVIEW
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the Pittsburgh Penguins for the first of two meetings this season. The Canucks visit Pittsburgh later this month on Nov. 22.
Vancouver is 2-5-3 in their last 10 games against Pittsburgh (1-4-0 in their last 5). They are 4-2-1 in 7 past games this season versus Eastern Conference teams.
Tonight's game is the fourth of a 5-game homestand that concludes with a visit from Detroit (Nov. 6).
Tonight also marks Alex Biega's 100th NHL game. He'll become just the 8th player taken in the 5th round or higher in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft to appear in 100 or more NHL games.
VS PENGUINS NOTES
• Jacob Markstrom is 1-2-0 along with a 2.68 GAA and .920 save percentage in 3 career games vs. Pittsburgh.
• Anders Nilsson is 2-3-1 along with a 2.75 GAA and .928 save percentage in 6 career games vs. Pittsburgh.
• Thomas Vanek has registered a team-high 30 points (17-13-30) in 40 career games versus the Penguins.
• Daniel Sedin has collected 12 points (5-7-12) in 19 career games versus the Penguins. He appeared in his 1,200th NHL game on Feb. 14/17 at PIT.
• Henrik Sedin has recorded 15 points (3-12-15) in 18 career games versus the Penguins.
• Brandon Sutter appeared in 209 games over 3 seasons with the Penguins collecting 78 points (45-33-78). He has 3 points (2-1-3) in 16 career games versus his former team.
• Derrick Pouliot appeared in 67 games for Pittsburgh over parts of 3 seasons, recording 14 points (2-12-14). He was selected by the Penguins 8th overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
• Michael Del Zotto has registered 9 points (1-8-9) in 30 career games versus Pittsburgh. His last power play goal occurred on Apr. 5 vs PIT.
LAST GAME: NOV. 1/17: VAN 0 vs NJD 2
Derek Dorsett had a team-high 4 hits...Brock Boeser, Thomas Vanek and Sam Gagner each recorded 4 shots on goal...Ben Hutton logged a game-high 25:21...Jacob Markstrom made 24 saves and was named the game's second star.
QUICK HITS (Through Nov. 2)
• Brock Boeser ranks tied for 14th in rookie goals (2) and tied for 6th in rookie points (9). He also ranks tied for 2nd among rookies in points per game (1.00).
• Bo Horvat ranks 12th in the League in faceoff wins (135). Brandon Sutter ranks 24th with 114.
• Michael Del Zotto leads the team and ranks tied for 14th in the League in blocked shots with 29. He also leads the team and ranks 22nd in the League with 24:26 TOI/game.
• Derek Dorsett leads the team in goals (6), hits (29) and penalty minutes (44) and is tied for second in points (8). He ranks tied for 7th in the League for best shooting percentage (30.0%; min. 10 games played).
• The Canucks rank t-7th in faceoff win percentage at 52.1%.
• The Canucks have killed off 19 of the last 20 penalties. Their penalty kill currently ranks 8th in the NHL at 84.1%.
• Vancouver has allowed the third fewest goals against per game at 2.33.
• According to Elias Sports Bureau, with his second shutout in his third game of the season, Anders Nilsson became the latest goalie to record two shutouts over his first three games with a team since Michael Neuvirth recorded shutouts in his second and third appearances with the Flyers on Oct.12-14/15.
• With his third career shutout on Oct. 17 at OTT, Anders Nilsson became the third Canucks goaltender to post a shutout in his Canucks debut (joining Mike Fountain (1993) and Johan Hedberg (2003)). He also became the first Canucks goaltender to earn a shutout at Ottawa since Kay Whitmore on Apr. 4/93. • With his 3 point performance on Oct. 20 at BUF, Derek Dorsett tied a career-high for both goals (2) and points (3) in a game. His first goal shorthanded was the 4th such goal of his career.
THE GOING RATE
• Jake Virtanen has 3 points (2-1-3) over the past 6 games including goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his NHL career on Oct. 22-24. He scored in 3 straight last season with Utica from Dec. 7-10.
• Brock Boeser has 8 points (2-7-9) over 9 games played, which included a career high three assists/points on Oct. 26 vs WSH.
• Michael Del Zotto recorded at least an assist in 4 straight games from Oct. 17-22: 5 assists, which tied a career high (Dec. 5-11/11: 5 assists).
• Derek Dorsett has 6 goals over the past 9 games. This included a 3-goal scoring streak, the longest goal scoring streak of his career, from Oct.19-22.
• Alex Burmistrov has 5 points (1-4-5) over the past 9 games.
• Sam Gagner has 2 points (1-1-2) over the past 3 games.
• Bo Horvat has 4 points (1-3-4) over the past 5 games.
• Sven Baertschi has 4 goals over the past 5 games.