With three goals on Jan. 2 at OTT, Pettersson became just the fourth active player to accumulate 40 or more career points within his first 40 NHL games.
With his performance on Jan. 2, he also became the first rookie in Canucks franchise history to score a hat trick that included an OTG. He is the eighth Canucks rookie to net a hat trick.
Pettersson was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month recipient for the month of December after leading all rookies in goals (6), assists (11), points (17), game-winning goals (4) and plus/minus (tied, +8) in 14 games.
Pettersson, who led all rookies with seven goals and 10 points in eight games (7-3-10) in October, was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month for October. He was named the NHL's second star of the week ending November 4th (sharing the League lead with four goals and ranked third overall with seven points in three games) and was named first star of the week ending December 9th (after leading the NHL with eight points (2-6-8) in three games).
Pettersson tied Lars Molin for the second longest rookie point streak in franchise history, going 4-9-13 from Dec. 6-16.
With five points (1-4-5) on Dec. 9 at STL, Pettersson became the sixth rookie since 1967-68 to record multiple outings with at least five points in a single season. He also registered five points (2-3-5) on Nov. 2 vs COL.
Playing in his 783rd career game Dec. 22 vs WPG (all with Vancouver), Alex Edler passed Harold Snepsts for most games played by a defenceman in Canucks franchise history.
Edler also leads the way among Canucks defencemen in career points (354), power play points (163) and shots (1750). He ranks second among Canucks blueliners in goals (89; 4 behind Mattias Ohlund), second in assists (265; 25 behind Dennis Kearns) and second in power play goals (43; 5 behind Sami Salo).
Edler also currently leads the NHL in blocks per game (2.9; min. 10 GP). He has led the team in TOI in 23 of 36 GP and has led both team in TOI in 14 of 36 GP.
FACE THE FACTS
Bo Horvat ranks first in the NHL in face-off wins (666), first in even-strength face-off wins (549) and first in face-offs taken (1258). He also ranks ninth in PP face-off wins (84).
Horvat ranks second on the team in goals (18), power play goals (5), points (41), power play points (11) and face-off win percentage (52.9%; min. 10 GP) and first in assists (23), shots (149) and TOI (among forwards; 20:50).
THE GOING RATE
- Derrick Pouliot has two points (0-2-2) over the past five games
- Brock Boeser has six points (2-4-6) over the past five games
- Josh Leivo has two points (1-1-2) over the past three games
- Loui Eriksson has four points (2-2-4) over the past five games
- Alex Edler has six points (2-4-6) over the past 11 games
- Antoine Roussel has two points (1-1-2) over the past six games
- Ben Hutton has three points (1-2-3) over the past six games
- Elias Pettersson has nine points (6-3-9) over the past seven games
- Sven Baertschi has four points (4-0-4) over the past six games
- Troy Stecher has three points (0-3-3) over the past six games
- Bo Horvat has five points (1-4-5) over the past five games
- Markus Granlund has three points (2-1-3) over the past five games
- Jay Beagle has three points (1-2-3) over the past five games