CANUCKS AT HURRICANES PREVIEW: (TV: Sportsnet Pacific; Radio: Sportsnet 650)
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the Carolina Hurricanes for their second and final meeting this season.
Tonight is the third of a 4-game road trip that concludes in Dallas (Sunday).
To date, Vancouver is 10-12-3 against teams from the Eastern Conference (4-7-2 versus teams from the Atlantic Division).
Vancouver has gone 4-1-0 in their past 5 games versus the Hurricanes.
Tonight also marks the conclusion of the Canucks sixth of 10 back-to-back series this season. Vancouver is 4-5-1 (1-3-1 in the first game and 3-2-0 in the second game) in back-to-back games thus far in 2017.18.
LAST MEETING - DEC. 5/17: VAN 3 vs CAR 0
Jacob Markstrom earned his first career shutout after making 30 saves...Derrick Pouliot notched the eventual game-winner to make it 1- 0 at 2:58 of the second period (he later added 2 assists to set a career-high for most points in a game)...Thomas Vanek made it 2-0 at 13:50 with a power play marker...Nikolay Goldobin scored his first goal of the season (and first at Rogers Arena) at 6:26 of the third...Henrik Sedin, Sam Gagner and Bo Horvat each notched an assist.
VS HURRICANES TIDBITS:
• Thomas Vanek has 38 career points (18-20-38) in 36 games vs CAR.
• Henrik Sedin has 14 career points (0-14-14) in 19 career games versus the Hurricanes.
• Sam Gagner (1-9-10 in 17) and Loui Eriksson (3-7-10 in 19) have each collected 10 career points vs CAR.
• Derrick Pouliot leads all skaters in scoring in the 2017.18 season series vs Carolina with three points (1-2-3).
• Brandon Sutter was drafted by and played 4 seasons with Carolina, collecting 53-54-107 in 286 games, spanning from 2008.09 to 2011.12.
LAST GAME: FEB. 8/18: VAN 2 at TB 5
Edler led Canucks skaters in scoring (0-2-2)...Boeser notched his 11th career power play goal and 30th career goal...Baertschi collected the Canucks second goal of the night...Dowd led the team with six hits...Nilsson faced 26 shots.
THE GOING RATE:
• Brock Boeser has 6 points (4-2-6) over the past 7 games.
• Chris Tanev has 3 assists/points over the past 5 games.
• Brandon Sutter has an assist in 4 of his last 5 games.
• Loui Eriksson has 4 points (2-2-4) over the past 7 games.
• Alex Edler has 11 points (1-10-11) in the past 13 games.
• Thomas Vanek has collected 5 points (2-3-5) over the past 7 games.
• Henrik Sedin has 3 assists over the past 5 games.
• Sven Baertschi has 5 points (4-1-5) over the past 11 games.
• Troy Stecher has 3 assists over the past 4 games.
• Bo Horvat has collected 5 points (2-3-5) since returning from injury on Jan. 21 (8 games).
PLAYER QUICK HITS:
• Brock Boeser notched his 30th career goal (26th this season) on Feb. 18/18 at TB to become just the 3rd Canucks skater to reach 30 goals with rookie status, joining Pavel Bure and Trevor Linden.
• With his 2nd SHG of the season collected on Feb. 6 at FLA, Markus Granlund became just the 6th Canuck since 2011.12 to record 2 or more SHG in a season.
• On Feb. 3/18 vs TBL, Brock Boeser tied Rick Blight for the 4th most goals by a Canucks rookie in one season (25). Boeser accomplished the feat in his 49th game, 25 fewer than Blight in 1975.76.
• Henrik Sedin appeared in his 1,300th NHL game Feb. 3/18 vs TBL. He became just the 62nd player all-time and third Swedish born player in League history to achieve the feat. He now sits 61st all-time with 1,302 games played.
• Daniel Sedin collected his 83rd career GWG on Feb. 1/18 vs CHI to move into a tie for 30th all-time with Jean Beliveau. He is one away from tying Stan Mikita and Maurice Richard (84) in a two-way tie for 28th.
• Brock Boeser ranks tied tied for 9th in the NHL goal-scoring race and leads all rookies with 26 goals. Boeser has scored 18.6% of the Canucks 140 goals this season.
• Boeser made his All-Star debut this year and was the first Canucks rookie named to the game since Dale Tallon in 1971 and the youngest Canucks player named to the game since Trevor Linden in 1991. Boeser registered 2-1-3 in two contests, including 1-1-2 in the final, to earn MVP honors and power the Pacific Division to victory. He became the first rookie since Mario Lemieux in 1985 to win NHL All Star MVP honours. Boeser also won the accuracy shooting during the Skills competition, becoming the third Canuck to accomplish that feat (Daniel Sedin in 2011 and Markus Naslund in 2002.
• Boeser won NHL Rookie of the Month honours in both November and December, becoming the first Canucks rookie to win it in back- to-back months. Boeser also won the NHL's first star of the week, ending Jan. 28.
• Henrik Sedin notched his 800th career assist on Dec. 13 vs NSH. In doing so, he became the first Canucks player, the 31st player in NHL history, the 3rd active player and the 2nd Swedish-born player to accomplish the feat. He now sits 27th all-time with 816 career assists.
• Jacob Markstrom has recorded 3 assists this season, which leads all goaltenders in that category. The last goaltenders to record 3 or more assists in a season were Jonathan Quick (3), Kari Lehtonen (3) and Henrik Lundqvist (4) who all accomplished the feat during the 2015.16 season.