CANUCKS AT FLAMES PREVIEW
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the Calgary Flames for the second of four meetings this season. The Canucks visit Calgary again on Dec. 9 and the two teams conclude their season series at Rogers Arena on Dec. 17. The Flames won the first meeting 5-2 on Oct. 14.
Vancouver is 3-6-1 in their last 10 games against Calgary (2-3-0 in their last 5). The Canucks last win at the Scotiabank Saddledome occurred on Oct. 7/15.
Tonight's game is the start of a 4-game road trip that also sees stops in Anaheim (Nov. 9), San Jose (Nov. 11) and Los Angeles (Nov. 14).
Tonight also marks Thomas Vanek's 900th career game. He'll become just the 8th player taken in the 2003 NHL Draft to appear in 900 or more games.
VS FLAMES NOTES
• Sven Baertschi was drafted by Calgary in the first round, 13th overall in the 2011 NHL Draft. Over parts of 4 seasons with the Flames, Baertschi recorded 28 points (8-20-28) in 66 games. In 9 games against his former team, he has collected two assists.
• Markus Granlund was selected by Calgary in the second round, 45th overall in the 2011 NHL Draft. Over parts of 3 seasons with the Flames, Granlund registered 28 points (14-14-28) in 86 games. In 6 games versus his former team, he has collected 3 points (2-1-3).
• In 46 games versus the Flames, Sam Gagner has registered 26 points (11-15-26).
• Ben Hutton made his NHL debut and recorded his first assist/point on Oct. 7/15 at Calgary.
• Daniel Sedin has recorded 85 points (29-56-85) in 90 career games versus the Flames. This is the most points he has scored against a single opponent in his career.
• Henrik Sedin has recorded 76 points (14-62-76) in 93 career games versus Calgary.
Tonight concludes the Canucks second of 10 back-to-back series this season. The Canucks are 1-2-0 so far in back-to-back games (0- 2-0 in the first game and 1-0-0 in the second game). This is the fewest number of back-to-back series the Canucks have had since playing in seven during the 2012.13 season. In 2016.17, the Canucks played in 16 back-to-back series posting a record of 13-18-1 including a record of 7-8-1 in the first game and 6-10-0 in the second game.
LAST GAME: NOV. 7/17: VAN 2 vs DET 3
Daniel Sedin got the Canucks on the board at 7:16 of the third period...Michael Del Zotto notched the tying goal (and his first as a Canuck) two minutes and 14 seconds later...Thomas Vanek, Henrik Sedin and Bo Horvat each drew an assist...Jacob Markstrom made 26 saves.
QUICK HITS (Through Nov. 6)
• Brock Boeser ranks tied for 3rd in rookie goals (5) and tied for 2nd in rookie points (13). He also leads all rookies in points per game (1.18).
• Bo Horvat ranks 12th in the League in faceoff wins (157). Brandon Sutter ranks t-20th with 131.
• Michael Del Zotto leads the team and ranks tied for t-19th in the League in blocked shots with 31. He also leads the team and ranks 21st in the League with 24:35 TOI/game.
• Derek Dorsett leads the team in goals (6), hits (33) and penalty minutes (46) and is fourth in points (8). He ranks 8th in the League for best shooting percentage (30.0%; min. 10 games played).
• The Canucks rank 10th in faceoff win percentage at 51.8%.
• The Canucks have killed off 23 of the last 26 penalties. Their penalty kill currently ranks t-10th in the NHL at 82.0%.
• Vancouver is 2nd for fewest goals against per game at 2.36.
• According to Elias Sports Bureau, with his second shutout in his third game of the season, Anders Nilsson became the latest goalie to record two shutouts over his first three games with a team since Michael Neuvirth recorded shutouts in his second and third appearances with the Flyers on Oct.12-14/15.
• With his third career shutout on Oct. 17 at OTT, Anders Nilsson became the third Canucks goaltender to post a shutout in his Canucks debut (joining Mike Fountain (1993) and Johan Hedberg (2003)). He also became the first Canucks goaltender to earn a shutout at Ottawa since Kay Whitmore on Apr. 4/93.
• With his 3 point performance on Oct. 20 at BUF, Derek Dorsett tied a career-high for both goals (2) and points (3) in a game. His first goal shorthanded was the 4th such goal of his career.
THE GOING RATE
• Brock Boeser has 12 points (5-8-12) over 11 games played, which included his first career hat trick and career high 4 points (3-1-4) on Nov. 4/17 vs PIT.
• Derek Dorsett has 6 goals over the past 11 games. This included a 3-goal scoring streak, the longest goal scoring streak of his career, from Oct. 19-22.
• Bo Horvat has 9 points (2-7-9) over the past 7 games.
• Sven Baertschi has 8 points (4-4-8) over the past 7 games.