Skip to Main Content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks

The Goods: Rally re-buffed

by Derek Jory / Vancouver Canucks

Even with the Sedins at their best, the Vancouver Canucks couldn’t overcome the Buffalo Sabres.

Daniel and Henrik Sedin combined for a goal and five assists Monday night at the HSBC Arena and the Canucks flirted with their first third period comeback of the year, but Tyler Myers played hero in overtime to lift Buffalo to a 4-3 win over Vancouver.

After Buffalo jumped out to a 2-0 lead in an opening period dominated by Vancouver early on, Daniel Sedin got the Canucks on the board, on the power play, midway through the second when he snapped a shot past Ryan Miller from the right hash mark.

The Sabres responded to take a 3-1 lead before the second period was through, leaving the Canucks, who had yet to complete a third period comeback this season, facing a tall task.

By the 10 minute mark of the third, the Canucks were looking for the game-winner.

An Alex Edler slap shot goal from the blueline and Mikael Samuelsson converting a brilliant pass from Daniel Sedin into an empty goal evened the game at 3-3 and, as is customary of late in Buffalo, overtime was needed to settle the game.

The Canucks hit Miller with a pair of shots in extra time, but Cory Schneider was assaulted with seven, including a point blank shot from Myers off a turnover by Dan Hamhuis in front of the Vancouver goal that counted as the game-winner.

The loss snaps Vancouver’s two-game win streak and extends the Canucks winless streak in Buffalo to three games; the last time Vancouver collected two points in Buffalo was February 2003.

Cory Schneider stopped a season-high 35 shots in his fourth start of the season; the four goals allowed by Schneider was one more than his entire total in his previous three starts.

The Canucks end their five-game road trip Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.


The Vancouver Canucks and Buffalo Sabres have had their share of run-ins over the past 40 years and the expansion cousins, who entered the NHL together in 1970, had a dispute on their hands before either team ever hit the ice.

The Canucks and Sabres were given the top two picks in the 1970 NHL Entry Draft and to determine who would get the first overall pick on June 11, 1970 at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, NHL president Clarence Campbell decided spinning a roulette wheel was fair.

What ensued remains one of the strangest developments in NHL history.

Vancouver had numbers 1-10 on the wheel, Buffalo owned 11-20, so when Campbell announced that the winning number was 1 and that the Canucks had the top pick, it was all but guaranteed that centre Gilbert Perreault would be coming to Vancouver.

George (Punch) Imlach, general manager of the Sabres, objected to the celebrations from the Canucks party and for good reason: Campbell hadn’t noticed that the roulette wheel stopped on 11, not 1.

As a result, the Sabres got the top pick and they selected Perrault, who wore #11 for his 17-year NHL career. The Canucks picked Dale Tallon with the second selection.


The Canucks are 0-3-2 when trailing after 20 minutes; Vancouver would have moved to over .500 on the road for the first time this season with a win; the curious case of Keith Ballard continues as the defenceman was once again scratched.

View More