Materials for the new parent educational program, Sportsmanship Starts in the Stands, are now available on the BC Hockey website. The program is designed to encourage positive parent behaviour in the rinks.
How the program works for Minor Hockey Associations (MHA):
- Download the materials from the BC Hockey website. These include:
- Customizable Parent PowerPoint Presentation
- Trevor Linden endorsement video
- Parent Meeting Policy
- Parent Meeting Form
- It is BC Hockey Policy that all MHA’s host a Parent’s Meeting prior to October 15, 2015. The meeting should cover the following:
- Parent Presentation (downloaded from the BC Hockey website)
- A review of key MHA Policies and Procedures
- A review of MHA Complaint/Process Policy
- Code of Conduct Expectations
- Complete the Parent Meeting Form and submit to BC Hockey prior to November 1, 2015
Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the cancellation of BC Hockey sanctioning of events hosted or operated by the MHA.
MHA’s will also receive email notification for each parent when they complete the parent form within their organization.
How the program works for parents:
- Attend the Parent Meeting held be your MHA
- Complete the easy, online Parent Code of Conduct and Fair Play Code Form which is available on the BC Hockey website and mobile app
Sportsmanship Starts in the Stands was developed to address the behaviours and attitudes that have become a negative influence in the game of hockey in BC. The intent of the program is to ensure that the environment at BC Hockey events and initiatives is positive for everyone. It was also developed to ensure the level of parent expectations was consistent across the province.
For more information on the Sportsmanship Starts in the Stands program, please visit the BC Hockey website or email email@example.com.