Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks

Record Breaking

by Staff Writer / Vancouver Canucks

By Jeff Paterson

So it's just a matter of time now before the keepers of the Canucks record book have to get out the eraser and strike one of the longest standing marks in franchise history.

Within the week, Henrik Sedin will almost certainly eclipse Andre Boudrias' single-season assist record.

Two more helpers on Monday night in Edmonton gives Henrik - the "Set-Up Sedin" - 60 assists on the season. Another pair will tie the record that was set back in 1974-75, five years before Henrik and Daniel were even born. And three more assists will give Henrik his spot in Canucks history.

To mark the occasion, it seemed fitting that we would give Canucks fans an assist or two to digest the pending accomplishment. So the following is a statistical analysis of the making of Henrik Sedin's record breaking season:

Games in which Henrik has recorded an assist: 41
Games in which Henrik has been held without an assist: 32
Canucks record when Henrik records an assist: 27-13-1
Canucks record when Henrik is held without an assist: 16-11-5

Most assists in one game this season: 4 @ Edmonton on February 6th
Multi-assist games: 15 (4 once, 3 twice, and two on 12 occasions)
Longest assist streak: three games on four separate occasions
Longest stretch without an assist: four games from January 16th to January 26th

Not surprisingly, Daniel has played a significant role in Henrik's pursuit of the record. Henrik has assisted on 24 of Daniel's 32 goals (75%) this season including the last six and 11 of 15 since the All-Star break. (And yes, it does work both ways, as Daniel has been in on eight of Henrik's 10 goals on the season).

According to the statistics, it appears Henrik needs a period to perfect his passing magic. Although he has set up his share of first period goals, he's been at his best in the second period and strong in the third, as well.
1st period assists:13 (21.7%)
2nd period assists:24 (40%)
3rd period assists:20 (33.3%)
OT assists:3 (0.5%)

It doesn't seem to matter to Henrik what the situation is in the hockey game, he's still able to find his teammates. Thirty-one of his assists have come at even-strength while 29 have come with the man-advantage.

There haven't been many, if any, cheapies among Henrik's 60 helpers this season. He's picked up the first assist on 35 of the goals he's had a hand in (58.3%) and the second assist on the other 25 (41.7%).

And perhaps the most meaningful of all the statistics pertaining to the race to replace Andre Boudrias as the Canucks single-season assist leader is that of the team's 44 game-winning goals this season, Henrik has set-up 14 of them (31.9%).

Jeff Paterson is a Team 1040 broadcaster and a regular contributor to the Georgia Straight. E-mail him at
View More