Job Title: Canucks Website Reporter Intern
Start Date: January 2011
Duration: 4 months (with a possible 4 month extension)
Please Note: This is an unpaid position designed for current students or recent graduates of an applicable program.
Join the world of professional sports with the Vancouver Canucks. As a member of the Canucks web department to help produce daily content for the top NHL website in Canada. This position offers a student a tremendous opportunity to work in a highly intensive market in the professional sports domain, gaining valuable experience, contacts and knowledge of the industry.
You will be responsible for writing news stories, taking photographs, conducting interviews, and creating features for canucks.com. You will also be responsible for updating the website in a live environment and editing content in a variety of formats.
Students applying for this position should have a strong editorial background with good photoshop, general computer skills is necessary. Experience with HTML, video, flash, and programming languages is helpful but not required.
- The successful candidate will be required to work regular hours (9-5) Monday to Friday, plus game nights including weekend evenings.
- A cover letter is required as this is a writing intensive position.
- Writing samples are encouraged.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(other duties may be assigned as required)
- Writing the daily news updates and stories for Canucks.com.
- Executing post-game updates on Canucks.com, which include cropping and posting photos, obtaining quotes, building game recaps.
- Maintaining various sections of the website (Manitoba Moose, Prospects, Community).
- Act as the website photographer at practices and other select events.
- Work with other departments (such as Marketing and Media Relations) to execute their needs and company objectives that need a digital presence.
- Maintain and update rogersarena.ca; coordinate requests for events.
- Work with Creative Services to create digital graphics that are consistent with the Canucks brand.
- Update various parts of the website as directed.
- Assist media relations department in various tasks and special assignments as they arise throughout the season.
- Perform other administrative functions as directed.
- Interest in working in professional sports
- Strong Writing Skills
- Proficient in Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to work in group environments
- Cheerful, embraces fun and celebration in the workplace
- High degree of personal integrity and honesty
- Works cooperatively, strives to meet team goals
- Passion for excellence and continual improvement
- Works with enthusiasm, dedication, respect and pride
- Strong customer/fan focus
- Receptive to new ideas and approaches, adapts well to change
Interested, qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, specifying position applied for, no later than Thursday, November 25, 2010.