VANCOUVER, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks announced today details about their support for the National Hockey League’s cancer awareness program, Hockey Fights Cancer. The club will host its Hockey Fights Cancer Awareness night on Sunday, October 26, 2014 during their home game versus the Washington Capitals.
The goal of Hockey Fights Cancer is to raise money and awareness for national and local organizations involved in cancer care and research. Together, the NHLPA and NHL will distribute more than $200,000 in grants to national and local cancer organizations in all 30 NHL markets.
“Cancer impacts us all in some way, either directly or indirectly. It’s part of why Hockey Fights Cancer is such an important initiative for our club and our fans as we do our part to support in any way we can,” said Trevor Linden, President of Hockey Operations, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “Thank you to our ticket members, fans and corporate partners for their support of this very worthwhile cause."
· With the support of Hockey Fights Cancer, the Vancouver Canucks will make a $5,000 donation to the Canadian Cancer Society’s Camp Goodtimes, which provides a unique summer experience for children and teens with cancer and their families.
· Canucks Sports & Entertainment rink board sponsors are showing their support for Hockey Fights Cancer by changing their creative to all-lavender. Lavender represents awareness for all cancers.
· Canucks players wear Hockey Fights Cancer decals on the back of their helmets for all games during the month of October. Management, coaching staff and team broadcasters will be wearing lavender Hockey Fights Cancer ties to show their support.
· Canucks players will wrap their sticks in lavender tape for the game.
· A special guest from the Canadian Cancer Society will watch warm-up from the penalty box.
· A patient from BC Children’s Hospital will be on the ice to participate in a pre-game ceremonial puck drop.
· Guests from the Canadian Cancer Society and Leukemia & Lymphoma Society will attend the game in the Canucks Community Suite.
· Leukemia Lymphoma Society, Movember, and Prostate Cancer Canada will have display tables in multiple locations on the concourse.
· Fans can support Hockey Fights Cancer by purchasing Hockey Fights Cancer ties, socks, hats and practice jerseys from the Canucks Team Store.
· For more information on the League-wide Hockey Fights Cancer program, please go to www.hockeyfightscancer.com.