|Bryan Smolinski has certainly made the most of facing the Sabres this season. |
Here’s a numerical look at the Canadiens win over the Sabres on Thursday night at the Bell Centre.
- The Canadiens’ point improvement over last season, when they finished the season as the 10th-ranked team in the Eastern Conference.25
- The Sabres’ point drop this season after finishing first overall with 113 points in 2006-07.
- Years since a team missed the playoffs after finishing first overall the previous year, like the Sabres have this season. The Rangers won the President’s Trophy in 1991-92 with 105 points before plummeting to 79 points and missing the postseason in 1992-93.
- Percentage of Bryan Smolinski’s total goals this season scored against the Sabres, with four of his eight goals coming against Buffalo.
- Canadiens to have played their first NHL game this season, with Matt D’Agostini joining Sergei Kostitsyn, Carey Price
, Ryan O'Byrne, Kyle Chipchura and Corey Locke.
- Canadiens players, now including Christopher Higgins, to have reached the 50-point mark this season, the most since seven Habs also turned the trick in 1988-89.1,644
- Days since the Canadiens claimed Steve Begin off waivers after he was left unprotected by the Sabres just prior to the 2003-04 season.Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com