- After enjoying a rare day off Monday, the Canadiens returned to practice Tuesday morning in Brossard prior to departing for The Big Apple where they will face the New York Rangers Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden. The Habs will then continue on to New Jersey for a home-and-away series against the Devils starting on the road Friday night before the two teams meet again Saturday night in Montreal.
- Devante Smith-Pelly (lower-body) returned to practice where he skated on the top line along-side Tomas Plekanec and Max Pacioretty, and is expected to play Wednesday night against the New York Rangers.
- Carey Price is expected to get the start between the pipes for the Habs, after shutting out the Rangers in the team’s home opener back on October 15, 2015. The reigning Vezina trophy winner is 11-5-1 in 18 career starts against the Rangers including a staggering seven shutouts in addition to a goals against average of 1.75 and save percentage of .943.
- Forward Brendan Gallagher, who was injured in the Canadiens most recent game Sunday night, had successful surgery Monday morning to fix two broken fingers suffered on his left hand. As a result, Gallagher is expected to miss up to six weeks.
- Torrey Mitchell, who suffered a lower-body injury November 19 against the Arizona Coyotes, is expected to miss approximately seven-ten days.
- Skating with teammates at practice for the third consecutive time, Alexei Emelin (lower-body) was paired with Jarred Tinordi at practice Tuesday morning. The Russian rearguard will not play against the Rangers but will be ready to make his return to the lineup when his number is called.
- After making his season debut with the Canadiens Sunday night against the New York Islanders, forward Sven Andrighetto remained on a right-wing on a line with Alex Galchenyuk and Lars Eller.
Lines at Tuesday’s practice:
Pacioretty - Plekanec – Smith-Pelly
Fleischmann - Desharnais - Weise
Eller - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
Byron - Flynn - Semin
Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Gilbert - Pateryn
Emelin – Tinordi