- After a day off on Sunday, the Canadiens returned to practice at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard on Monday morning in preparation for Tuesday night’s game against the San Jose Sharks at the Bell Centre.
- About an hour before practice began, Devante Smith-Pelly hit the ice with the Canadiens’ head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend to continue rehabbing his lower-body injury. The 23-year-old hasn’t played since December 3 against the Washington Capitals.
- Before the formal practice session got underway on the main rink, the Canadiens worked on special teams, focusing both on the power play and penalty kill. Once the guys were done, Brendan Gallagher skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard to begin his on-ice rehab work as he continues to recover from surgery on two fractured fingers on his left hand.
- Following practice, head coach Michel Therrien confirmed that Dustin Tokarski will get the start in goal against the Sharks. It will mark his third straight outing between the pipes.
- Therrien also confirmed that Torrey Mitchell “should” make his return to active duty on Tuesday night. Mitchell, who has been sidelined with a lower-body injury, hasn’t played since November 19 against Arizona.
Lines and D pairings at practice:
Max Pacioretty – Tomas Plekanec – Paul Byron
Lars Eller – Alex Galchenyuk – Dale Weise
Tomas Fleischmann – David Desharnais – Brian Flynn
Daniel Carr – Torrey Mitchell – Sven Andrighetto
Andrei Markov – P.K. Subban
Alexei Emelin – Jeff Petry
Nathan Beaulieu – Tom Gilbert
Jarred Tinordi – Greg Pateryn