Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Boston Bruins

Postgame Reaction vs. Buffalo

by Hannah Becker / Boston Bruins
BOSTON – The Boston Bruins picked up a single point tonight as they fell to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3 in overtime.

Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara checks Buffalo Sabres' Michael Grier in the third period of an NHL hockey game, Thursday, March 10, 2011, in Boston. The Sabres won 4-3 in overtime. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
The B’s overtime record dropped to 2-4-5, while the Sabres’ improved to 13-7-1.

“I thought it was a great effort tonight. Obviously some calls didn’t go our way. The second period there was a lot of stuff going on. So the game could have went either way,” Bruins forward Shawn Thornton said after the game.

“And I thought the guys did a good job of actually not letting some questionable things get in their head and playing through it.

"So we got a point, I guess that’s a positive.”

Boston took their first lead of the night when Nathan Horton netted his 19th of the season at 8:54 in the first.

Mark Recchi added to the B’s lead 11:26 into the second period with his 12th goal of the year.

The second period was whistle heavy as 12 penalties were called, seven of which went against Boston, including fighting majors to Milan Lucic and Adam McQuaid.

The Sabres scored twice in the period, with the second of the two goals coming on the man-advantage.

“That’s what happens in a game over a course of sixty minutes. There’s the momentum swings one way or the other, and you just got to stick with it. We did a pretty good job of dealing with being a man down for a large portion of the game,” forward Gregory Campbell said.

“So, five on three, it’s tough enough to kill one, and if there’s a couple in a game, it really puts a lot of pressure on us. Unfortunately, we let them back in in the third. And you give them credit though, they played until the end and we expected that.”

The Bruins took the lead early in the third with Campbell’s 10th goal of the year, but the Sabres quickly answered and the two teams went to overtime.

“Well it was just a good play by [Shawn Thornton] to protect in the corner. And he got it out to Zee [Zdeno Chara], kind of squeaked out there to Zee, it wasn’t very hard, but fortunately got out there and he put it on the net and it looked like [Ryan] Miller was kind of searching for the puck,” Campbell said of his goal.

“He was standing up and his five-hole was open so I just pushed it through.”

It took 3:44 of overtime before the Sabres’ Brad Boyes was able to put away the game winner and his 15th of the season.

“It was a knuckler. Knuckler high,” B’s goaltender Tim Thomas (41 saves) said of Boyes’ goal.

“Can’t really control the rebound on it so, actually kind of. It all happened so fast, but you kind of put it up in the air for purpose to buy time for guys to get back. Didn’t work out that way.”

The Bruins quickly return to action tomorrow night, as they take on the New York Islanders in the first game of a four-game road swing.
View More