Saturday, October 20, 2007
TD Banknorth Garden; Boston MA
Game Time: 4:00 p.m.
NESN and WBZ RadioSaturday's Game
The Bruins host the Rangers Saturday afternoon in the first of four games between these teams this season and the first of two games of this season's series at TD Banknorth Garden. The Bruins are 4-2-0 thus far this season and are 1-0-0 this season on home ice. The Rangers are 2-4-0 overall this season with an 0-3-0 record on the road. The Bruins are playing their first game of the season tonight an Atlantic Division team tonight and they are 1-0-0 this season vs. Eastern Conference foes. The Rangers are 0-2-0 this season vs. Northeast Division teams and are 2-4-0 overall vs. Eastern Conference opponents.All-time Series
The Bruins are 276-231-97-4 all-time vs. New York with a 1,941-1,778 scoring advantage in those 608 games. The Bruins are 160-96-42-4 all-time vs. the Rangers on home ice with a 1,083-849 scoring edge in those 302 contests. The Bruins are winless in their last eight games vs. the Rangers at 0-5-0-3 with their last win over New York a 3-1 victory in Boston on Mar. 4, 2004.Recent Bruins Games
The Bruins have won their last three games with an 8-6 win in Los Angeles on Oct. 12, a 2-1 victory in San Jose on Oct. 13 and a 4-1 win over Tampa Bay on Oct. 18. They are 4-2-0 on the season, opening the year with a five-game road trip (3-2-0) before playing their home opener Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.Recent Rangers Games
The Rangers have lost their last two games and four of their last five contests with 2-0 loss to Ottawa on Oct. 6, a 2-1 loss at NY Islanders on Oct. 10, a 3-1 win over Washington on Oct. 13, a 3-1 setback to Ottawa on Oct. 13 and a 5-3 loss to Atlanta on Oct. 18.Upcoming Bruins Games
The Bruins will next face the Canadiens in Montreal on Oct. 22 (7:30 p.m.; Versus and WBZ Radio). They will then return home to host the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 25 (7:00 p.m., NESN and WBZ Radio) and the Philadelphia Flyers on Oct. 27 (7:00 p.m., NESN and WBZ Radio). Upcoming Rangers Games
The Rangers conclude their current three-game road trip in Pittsburgh on Oct. 23. They will then return to New York for a six-game home stand, hosting New Jersey (twice), Toronto, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia between Oct. 25-Nov. 5.Bruins Injuries
None reported.Bruins October Transactions
Oct. 1: Nate Thompson, Petteri Nokelainen and Matt Hunwick assigned to Providence/AHL.
Oct. 2: Jeff Hoggan assigned to Providence/AHL).
Oct. 3: Glen Metropolit signed as a free agent.
Oct. 17: Brad Marchand
signed to a contract.Bruins 2007-08 Shootouts
The Bruins have not yet participated in a 2007-08 regular season shootout.Bruins 2007-08 Penalty Shots
The Bruins have not yet faced or taken a 2007-08 regular season penalty shot.Bruins Fun Facts
Hockey Fights Cancer
- The Bruins enter tonight's game with the league's best power play at 28.6%. They did not have a power play opportunity Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay, the first time that has happened since Dec. 9, 2006 vs. New Jersey.
- Tim Thomas has the top goals against average (1.26) and save percentage (.962) among all NHL goaltenders.
- October Birthdays: Phil Kessel turned 20 on Oct. 2.
- Peter Schaefer is playing his 500th NHL game tonight.
- Manny Fernandez is five games shy of his 300th NHL game milestone.
- The Bruins have 17 sets of back-to-back games this season and have completed two of these sets thus far.
- They are 1-1-0 this season in the first game of these series and are 2-0-0 in the second game of these sets.
- The Bruins have two rookies on their 23-man roster this season – David Krejci and Milan Lucic…Krejci played six NHL games last season while Lucic played his first NHL game Oct. 5 in Dallas in this season's opener.
- The Bruins have five players on their roster this season who are new to the team – Manny Fernandez (trade with Minnesota), Milan Lucic (draft), Glen Metropolit (free agent), Peter Schaefer (trade with Ottawa) and Shawn Thornton (free agent). That is in addition to new coach Claude Julien and new assistant coaches Craig Ramsay and Geoff Ward.
- The Bruins opened this season with a five-game trip against Pacific Division teams, which concluded Oct. 13 in San Jose. That was the last game of the season scheduled for the Bruins outside of the Eastern Time zone.
- The Bruins will host the Central Division teams this season and will not play teams in the Northwest Division.
- The Bruins have completed five of their 24 seasons series. They are 0-1-0 vs. Anaheim, 0-1-0 vs. Dallas, 1-0-0 vs. Los Angeles, 1-0-0 vs. Phoenix and 1-0-0 vs. San Jose.
The NHL is celebrating the 10th Anniversary this season of the Hockey Fights Cancer initiative. All NHL players will wear pink Hockey Fights Cancer decals on the back of their helmets for all games throughout the entire month of October.The Players6—Dennis Wideman—D
- Has played the last five games after not dressing for the season opener.
- Has not dressed for one game this season (coach's decision).10—Brandon Bochenski—RW
- Is looking to play his first game of the season.
- Dressed, but did not play Oct. 10 in Anaheim.
- Has not dressed for five games this season (coach's decision).11—P. J. Axelsson—LW
- Has two assists in his last five games, assisting on the shorthanded game-winning goal Oct. 6 in Phoenix and adding an assist Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.12—Chuck Kobasew—RW
- Has 3-1-4 totals in four of his last five games… Scored the shorthanded game-winning goal Oct. 6 in Phoenix; added single tallies Oct. 10 in Anaheim and Oct. 12 in Los Angeles; and had an assist Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Had a three-game goal streak from Oct. 6-12 (3-0-3 totals).13—Glen Metropolit—C
- Has one assist in six games thus far this season, recording his first point as a Bruin with an assist Oct. 10 in Anaheim.
- Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas…Recorded his first point as a Bruin with an assist Oct. 10 in Anaheim.
- Signed as a free agent on Oct. 3…Had been invited to training camp on a pro try-out agreement.16—Marco Sturm—LW
- Has 2-2-4 totals in his last two straight games with two assists Oct. 13 in San Jose and two goals Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has 3-2-5 totals in his last five games.
- Has two multiple-point games.21—Andrew Ference—D
- Recorded his first points of the season with a two-assist effort Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has one multiple-point game.22—Shawn Thornton—RW
- Scoreless in six games thus far this season.
- Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas.27—Glen Murray—RW
- Has a three-game point streak in progress with 1-3-4 totals in that span…Had a 1-1-2 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles and single assists each Oct. 13 in San Jose and Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has one multiple-point game.30—Tim Thomas—G
- Has won his last two starts with a 2-1 victory in San Jose on Oct. 13 (27 shots) and a 4-1 victory over Tampa Bay on Oct. 18 (36 shots).
- Has faced 30-or-more shots in three of his four games with a 2-1-0 record in those games.
- Has dressed as backup for two games.33—Zdeno Chara—D
- Had his three-game assist streak stopped Oct. 13 in San Jose with four assists in that span…Had single assists each Oct. 6 in Phoenix and Oct. 10 in Anaheim and had two assists Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
- Has one multiple-point game.35—Manny Fernandez—G
- Earned his first win as a Bruin with an 8-6 victory in Los Angeles on Oct. 12.
- Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas with a 4-1 loss.
- Has dressed as backup for four games.37—Patrice Bergeron—C
- Has a three-game point streak in progress with 1-4-5 totals in that span…Had an assist Oct. 12 in Los Angeles, a 1-1-2 effort Oct. 13 in San Jose and two assists Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has 3-4-7 totals in five of his six games played this season.
- Has two multiple-point games.38—Bobby Allen—D
- Has not dressed for the last five games.
- Played his lone game of the season Oct. 5 in Dallas.
- Has not dressed for five games (coach's decision).41—Andrew Alberts—D
- Scoreless in six games thus far this season.44—Aaron Ward—D
- Has goals in two of his last three games, scoring his first goal of the season Oct. 12 in Los Angeles and netting the game-winner at 19:48 of the third period Oct. 13 in San Jose.45—Mark Stuart—D
- Scored his first goal of the season Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay…It was his first goal scored since he scored his first career NHL goal on Apr. 10, 2006 vs. Washington.46—David Krejci—C
- Has three assists in two of his last five games…Recorded his first NHL point with an assist Oct. 6 in Phoenix and added two assists Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
- Has one multiple-point game.53—Jeremy Reich—LW
- Has not dressed for the first six games of the season (coach's decision).62—Milan Lucic—LW
- Recorded his first NHL assist/point and goal Oct. 12 in Los Angeles with the goal proving the game-winner…Completed his 'Gordie Howe hat trick' with a fight in that game as well.
- Has one multiple-point game.
- Played his first NHL game Oct. 5 in Dallas…Recorded his first NHL assist/point and goal Oct. 12 in Los Angeles with the goal proving the game-winner.72—Peter Schaefer—LW
- Has 1-2-3 totals in two of his last three games…Had two assists Oct. 12 in Los Angeles and scored his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has one multiple-point game.
- Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas and recorded his first point as a Bruin with an assist in that game…Scored his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.81—Phil Kessel—C/W
- Scored his first career hat trick and recorded a career-high for points in a game with a 3-1-4 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
- Had recorded his first point of the season with an assist Oct. 6 in Phoenix.
- Has one multiple-point game.91—Marc Savard—C
- Has points in four of his five games played this season with 1-7-8 totals in that span…Had power play assists each Oct. 5 in Dallas and Oct. 6 in Phoenix; matched his career-highs for assists and points in a game with a 1-4-5 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles; and had an assist Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
- Has played the last three games after missing the Oct. 10 game in Anaheim with an injury…That snapped his consecutive games-played stretch at 166 games dating back to his previous game missed (April 3, 2004 at New York while with Atlanta), as he missed the final 17 games of the 2003-04 season with a knee strain.
- Has one multiple-point game.
- Recorded his 500th NHL point with the first assist of a 1-4-5 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
- Has missed one game to injury (1-groin, Oct. 10).