Recchi's Ready for 2009-10
Mark Recchi is looking to go out on top and he thinks he has a pretty good shot at doing that in Boston.
"Peter [Chiarelli] and I talked and I told him that Boston was the first place I wanted to play," said the two-time Stanley Cup Champion. "They stepped up and got me at the deadline last year and I really enjoyed it.
"Then Peter stepped up [on Thursday]."
One of the reasons the now-healthy (and presumably kidney stone free) Recchi wanted to return was disappointment -- or the predominant feeling in the B's locker room post-defeat in May.
"I think everybody left pretty disappointed, which I really, really liked," said Recchi of the B's departure from the postseason. "I think the guys really felt...that we left something out there.
"And I think the guys are going to be that much hungrier this year."
And Recchi wanted to be there to help lead the way.
"Winning the Stanley Cup is not an easy thing," said Recchi. "So you want to give yourself every opportunity.
"I really felt Boston was a great fit for me and is going to have an opportunity if we all do the right things as players and continue to grow as a team," he said.
Recchi acknowledged Chiarelli's efforts towards keeping the core of the 2008-09 club together.
"It's tough right now with the salary cap," explained Recchi. "You field a good team and then you have to let people go and you have to make moves to restock again -- it's got to be a real frustrating thing for GM's now.
"[Chiarelli's] done a tremendous job."
Boston's locker room was famously close last season, and that helped the club on and off the ice.
"There's just tremendous pieces there," said Recchi. "It's a great locker room and the guys have a lot of fun.
"[But] they're very professional about how they come to the rink and work. And that's very important if you want to be successful."
Professional. Could there be a better example of professionalism than Recchi's attitude towards his job?
"You have to earn your ice time," said Recchi -- a possible Hockey Hall of Famer. "It's not gonna get handed to you.
"For 20-years I've done it; thinking that way...[You want] that opportunity to win again and that's what you play for."
Recchi, and the Bruins goal, is simple.
"I'm playing for one more [Stanley Cup]," said Recchi. "That's why I'm coming back.
"That's the most important thing for me and that's the reason I like Boston because...that's the most important thing for everybody in that dressing room."
Listen in: Mark Recchi Conference Call
Recchi on re-signing...
"I love the opportunity in Boston and I am going to go up there and lay everything on the line..."
Keep it here for more...
Waiting on a conference call with Recchi...
Rough and tumble in Toronto?
Over at his blog, TheBruinsBlog.net
, Matt Kalman had me looking over some Milan Lucic
, Shawn Thornton
and Steve Begin fight tape. Speaking particularly about new Toronto Maple Leaf Mike Komisarek, yesterday Kalman wrote:
"The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Komisarek has had some classic confrontations with Bruins winger Milan Lucic and other members of the Black and Gold over the last couple years. Now he’ll get to continue that with the Leafs, a club that also features the muscle of Colton Orr, Jamal Mayers and Garnet Exelby. The Leafs will be a hard-hitting bunch, and now we know that those six Bruins-Leafs games will have a little more gasoline on the fire in 2009-10."
Wow. Is it only July?
And while we're at it, where's Wides?
Yesterday, the Boston Herald's Steve Harris led the charge bearing the banner of Marc Savard
. Today, Steve continued his assault and then picked up the colors of Dennis Wideman:"It’s hard to see how he didn’t even warrant a tryout, and the same is true for Wideman, who was thought to have put himself into the picture for Team Canada after posting 13-37-50 and a plus-32 last season...Obviously the job of an NHL defenseman involved far more than just scoring points. But keep in mind that Wideman got more ice time than all but five of the 16 invited defensemen, outscored 12 of them and had a better plus/minus than all except Chicago’s Duncan Keith (plus-33)."
It's hard to argue. No?
Add Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber
to the growing list of media members wondering why Marc Savard
is not on the list of men going to Team Canada's orientation camp later this summer:
"...in a group that seems to be looking ahead instead of looking back, unlike other iterations of Team Canada, no quarrel here.
There is only one important slight: Marc Savard.
Savard was the ninth leading scorer in the NHL last season (25 goals and 63 assists for the Bruins, the best regular-season team in the Eastern Conference), but he was the fourth-highest Canadian-born scorer behind Crosby, Ryan Getzlaf and Iginla."
Now, I don't agree with everything in the piece, but I must agree with the Savard snubbed sentiment.