ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Blues have been purchased by an all-local group led by Tom Stillman, previously a minority owner of the club. The new ownership group includes several prominent business and civic leaders.
“We are honored and humbled to take ownership of the St. Louis Blues,” said Stillman. “Our new ownership group is 100 percent local, and we are 100 percent committed to the Blues and to St. Louis. We see the Blues as an important civic institution, and we know what the Blue Note means to this city and to the best fans in the NHL.”
NHL Commissioner Gary B. Bettman, attending today’s announcement, said "We are extremely pleased to welcome Tom and his group, who are so devoted to the Blues and to the community. Success on the ice, an outstanding home arena, tremendous fan support and Tom's passionate commitment all point toward an extremely positive future for the franchise."
The purchase, which closed yesterday (May 9), also includes the Scottrade Center lease, the Peoria Rivermen franchise (the Blues’ American Hockey League affiliate) and a substantial interest in the Peabody Opera House.
“We are fortunate to be taking over one of the best teams in the NHL, with a strong, mostly young nucleus and a very bright future,” said Stillman. “Our top priority will be to put a serious contender on the ice year in and year out and to establish the Blues as an elite NHL franchise.”
The Blues just completed the 2011-12 season, in which they compiled 109 points (tied for second in the league), advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and set a number of franchise records.
“We plan to put the franchise on solid financial footing and to make the Blues stable and sustainable, right here in St. Louis, for generations to come,” said Stillman. “To accomplish that, we will need the support of Blues fans, local businesses large and small, and the rest of the St. Louis community.”
The members of the new Blues ownership group are as follows:
- Thomas H. Stillman - Chairman & CEO, Summit Distributing
- Jerald L. Kent - Chairman & CEO, Suddenlink Communications, CEO, Cequel III
- Donn S. Lux- Chairman & CEO, Luxco
- James A. Cooper- Managing Partner, Thompson Street Capital Partners
- Jo Ann Taylor Kindle - President, Enterprise Holdings Foundation
- W. Stephen Maritz - Chairman & CEO, Maritz Inc.
- Edward M. Potter- Private investor
- Mr. & Mrs. Andrew C. Taylor - Mr. Taylor is Chairman & CEO of Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
- David L. Steward- Chairman, World Wide Technology, Inc.
- James P. Kavanaugh - CEO, World Wide Technology, Inc.
- John C. Danforth- Partner, Bryan Cave LLP, Former U.S. Senator, Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- Christopher B. Danforth- Owner & CMO, Kennelwood Pet Resorts
- James L. Johnson- Senior Vice President, Stifel Nicolaus & Co.
- Scott B. McCuaig- Former President, Stifel Nicolaus & Co.
- John S. Ross, Jr. - President, Summit Development Group
- Thomas F. Schlafly - Partner, Thompson Coburn, Founder, The Saint Louis Brewery