ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Blues’ dramatic 3-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7 of the NHL Western Conference quarterfinals was the most-watched telecast in the history of FOX Sports Midwest.
The epic series finale earned a 19.6 rating in the St. Louis DMA, averaging 239,000 households, according to Nielsen Media Research. Viewing peaked at a 25.3 rating/308,000 households/39 share at the end of the game.
Before last night, the highest-rated event on FOX Sports Midwest was the St. Louis Cardinals’ victory at Houston on Sept. 28, 2011 – the final day of the regular season, on which the Cardinals’ win and subsequent Atlanta loss put the Cardinals in the postseason. That Cardinals game earned an 18.0.
Blues-Blackhawks was the No. 1 program of the day in St. Louis. During the game, from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m., it beat the combined rating of St. Louis’ ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC affiliates (17.9). All seven games of the series were the No. 1 program of the day in St. Louis.
Game 7 was the most-watched program in St. Louis since the Super Bowl on Feb. 7.
The previous high for a Blues game came just last week – a 15.0 for Game 5 against Chicago. FOX Sports Midwest is in its 20th season as the home of the Blues and 23rd with the Cardinals.
Facts and Figures: Blues-Blackhawks Game 7
- Highest-rated telecast ever on FOX Sports Midwest.
- Number 1 program of the day in St. Louis all seven games of the series.
- Game 7’s 19.6 rating higher than St. Louis’ ABC (KDNL), CBS (KMOV), FOX (KTVI) and NBC (KSDK) affiliates combined (17.9) from 7:30-10:30 p.m.
Viewership high in young demos:
- Among Men 25-54, Game 7 averaged a 21.6 rating/47 share.
- Among Men 18-49, it scored a 19.4/50 share (50 percent of Men 18-49 watching TV at the time were tuned to the game).
NHL playoff games after the first round are televised by the League's national TV network partners. FOX Sports Midwest will air the Missouri Lottery Blues Live postgame show after Blues playoff games.
Highest-Rated Blues Games on FOX Sports Midwest
Household ratings; St. Louis DMA; courtesy of Nielsen
1. 19.6 April 25, 2016 - Blues vs. Chicago; First Round, Game 7
2. 15.0 April 21, 2016- Blues vs. Chicago; First Round, Game 5
3. 13.0 April 24, 2015 - Blues vs. Minnesota; First Round, Game 5
4. 12.7 April 19, 2016 - Blues at Chicago; First Round, Game 4
5. 12.4 April 22, 2015 - Blues at Minnesota; First Round, Game 4