ST. LOUIS - The Blues (8-2-1) earned their fourth win in the last five games Friday with a 2-1 win against the Carolina Hurricanes at PNC Arena. Dmitrij Jaskin scored his first goal of the season and Brayden Schenn secured the win with a game-winner with just under 10 minutes to play in the third period. The Blues have points in five straight games and are tied with the Los Angeles Kings for first place in the Western Conference (17 points) despite playing eight of their first 11 games on the road.
"This League never allows us a whole lot of time to sit around and be happy about things," Blues Head Coach Mike Yeo said after Friday's win. "We get on the plane and we get to work here with Columbus. It will be a tough one. It doesn't do you much good [to be happy about road wins] unless you take advantage of the home games, so that will be the challenge now."
Since the beginning of last season, the Blues are 12-2-0 in the second game of back-to-back sets.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are off to their best start in franchise history with a 7-3-0 start. Josh Anderson scored with 2:22 left in overtime on Friday to give the Blue Jackets a 2-1 win in their last game against the Winnipeg Jets. After the game, Columbus boarded a plane for St. Louis for tonight's 7 p.m. matchup (FSMW, FSGO, KMOX), so both clubs will be on the second night of back-to-backs.
Video: Blue Note Minute for Oct. 28
The Blue Jackets boast a two-time Vezina Trophy winner in goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. In the offseason, Columbus also acquired former Chicago Blackhawks forward Artemi Panarin, who leads the Blue Jackets with 10 points this season (one goal, nine assists).
Last season, the Blues split the season series with Columbus, with each team winning at home. The Blues are 8-2-0 in their last 10 games against the Blue Jackets and have points in 20 of their last 24 meetings with Columbus at Scottrade Center.
HOT VS. COLUMBUS
- Vladimir Tarasenko has scored in three straight games with the Blue Jackets, recording three goals and four assists in that span. Tarasenko has 13 points (seven goals, six assists) in 11 career games vs. Columbus.
- Brayden Schenn has two goals and four assists over his last six games vs. Columbus.
- The Blues begin a four-game homestead tonight. They are 9-1-1 in their last 11 regular-season home games, outscoring opponents 41-25. In addition, the Blues and the Tampa Bay Lightning are the only teams in the League that remain unbeaten at home.
- The Blues have scored first in seven games this season, recording a 5-1-1 record in those games.
- The Blues ranked second in the League with 193 blocked shots this season, trailing only Ottawa's 199.
- Blue Jackets assistant coach Brad Shaw spent 10 seasons on the Blues' coaching staff (2006-16).
- Fans can enjoy live music and $5 beers from Anheuser-Busch with a pregame happy hour on the concourse at Scottrade Center. The beer specials end at 6 p.m. and are available outside Sections 122-126.