There are some advantages to having the leg in repair during the summer months, but not many.
One fell in my lap on Monday at the Pro-Am event as part of the Nationwide Tour stop in Columbus being played at the Scarlet Course of The Ohio State University. I emceed the celebrity introduction on the putting green and introduced the usual OSU stars of the past from the football and basketball programs, but then guys like Daryl Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Paul O'Neill and local baseball product Dave Milicki were part of the introductions.
Our own Scott Howson, Jared Boll and newcomer Mike Commodore represented the local CBJ and did an admirable job… you don't think I just sat back and felt sorry for myself, I limped out to watch Scott Howson show great hands on a knock down out of the tree lined No. 9 to three feet from the flag.
Mike Commodore won the long drive on No. 13 as he outdistanced former CBJ Andrew Cassels by a couple of inches… but that is not what actually excited my taste for the sport of golf, it was getting the opportunity to spend a couple of hours with David Feherty the comedic voice of CBS golf. This man has to be the funniest individual I have come across in sport. He proceeded to entertain the 100-plus guests as well as the touring Nationwide Professionals for an hour plus with stories of Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and Padric Harrington. He had some of the greatest one liners with his Irish dialect that left the audience crying in their cocktails. It was one day I will never forget, as he proved he is a big hockey fan, living in Dallas and a big fan of Brett Hull. He also spent an hour personalizing his latest book "An Idiot for All Seasons" to all of the guests… David "Thanks for the Day."
Some news from around the league ...
- Jonathon Toews has a week under his belt as the "C" of the beloved Hawks. They hosted Hawk Fest on the weekend and it proved to be a huge success enticing 8,000+ fans involved. The return of the Hull, Mikita and Esposito highlighted the weekend affair.
- Hockey Night in Canada has hired Mike Milbury away from TSN. Working one night a week allows Mike other ventures and time with his family.
- Duvie Wescott is joining Dynamo Riga (Latvia) in the KHL. Along with buddy and former CBJ Mark Hartigan, they will make their way to the new Russian League.
- Mike Commodore is excited to be a CBJ. In town for a brief media blitz and the Nationwide Golf Pro Am, he is becoming acclimated to the city and has found a residence already.
- Curt Fraser is going to be behind the bench this upcoming year as the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL, the Detroit Red Wing affiliate. Curt was the head coach for Belarus the past 2 years.
- Martin Rucinsky is returning to the Czech Republic to play for Sparta Prague in the fall.
- Jason Spezza reinforced the word from Mike Commodore, Captain Daniel Alfredsson that the lockeroom in Ottawa was far being a problem…in fact it was a team that had one problem late in the year, and that was not winning enough games.
*Throughout the season, AAA brought you the Broadcaster's Blogs - "Davidge Dishes" and "Rimer Ramblings". The Columbus Blue Jackets broadcasters will try to keep you updated on all the offseason action through their blogs, especially when the Blue Jackets get to the free agency period.