The Blue Jackets are set to open their 11th Training Camp in less than two weeks. But it was Tuesday night inside Nationwide Arena where the club’s ownership group, along with assistance from the hockey operations and coaching staffs, made their picks for the annual Owners’ Tournament set for Sunday, Sept. 18 at Nationwide Arena and the OhioHealth Ice Haus.
The ownership group consisting of Majority Owner John P. McConnell, and minority owners Jay Crane, the Pizzuti family and the Wolfe family were each paired with a member of the hockey operations staff and a member of the coaching staff. McConnell had Assistant Coach Brad Berry at his side, while Crane had Assistant Coach Dan Hinote and Assistant General Manager Chris MacFarland providing input, Assistant Coach Todd Richards supported the Pizzuti family and Wolfe had Director of Amateur Scouting and Development Coach Tyler Wright in his corner.
Also in attendance were team President Mike Priest, Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Scott Howson (who served as emcee of the event), Head Coach Scott Arniel, Goaltending Coach Ian Clark, Director of Video Scouting Bryan Stewart, Manager of Hockey Administration Josh Flynn and Assistant Video Scout Scott Harris.
The rules for the draft included the following:
- All teams have 13 skaters
- Three teams drafted five wingers, one team drafted six wingers
- Three teams drafted five defensemen, one team drafted four defensemen (the team with four defensemen drafted an extra winger).
- Goaltenders will rotate and will be assigned automatically for the semifinals. The top two goalies based on goals-against average will play in the Championship. The other four goalies will play in the Consolation Game.
- The order of the Draft was determined in advance by random lottery and was revealed on Draft Day.
- The Draft followed a serpentine order, where the pick order reversed after every round.
Click here to view the rosters for each team. Click here to view a detailed roster for each team.
The schedule for the Owners’ Tournament is below:
|Time ||Game ||Site |
|11 a.m. ||Team McConnell vs. Team Pizzuti ||OhioHealth Ice Haus |
|11:45 a.m. ||Team Wolfe vs. Team Crane ||Nationwide Arena |
|12:45 p.m. ||Consolation game ||Nationwide Arena |
|1 p.m. ||Championship Game ||OhioHealth Ice Haus |