Get to know Drew Doughty ...
- Finished ninth in scoring among OHL defensemen with 50 points and his nine power-play goals ranked him third on the Guelph Storm in 2007-08.
- Was one of four 2008 draft-eligible players to help Team Canada win gold at the 2008 World Junior Championships. He was named Top Defenseman of the tournament after recording four assists (0-4--4) in seven games. Doughty became just the fifth Canadian defenseman to have won the award (Marc Staal 2006, Dion Phaneuf 2005, Bryan McCabe 1995, Gord Kluzak 1982) and the first to win the award before being drafted into the NHL.
- Was named as an alternate captain for the 2008 OHL All-Star Classic and also participated in the 2007 OHL All-Star Classic.
- Doughty was voted Best Offensive Defenseman in the 2007 and 2008 OHL Coaches Poll and was also named to the OHL All-Rookie Team in 2005-06.
- Represented Canada at the 2007 IIHF World Under-18 Championship in Finland and in 2006 at the World Under-17 Championship.
- He wore the number 99 growing up because of his favorite player and idol Wayne Gretzky. Once Gretzky's number was retired he switched to number 19 for Joe Sakic. He now wears number eight because his birthday is December 8th.
- He started playing hockey when he was three-years-old and was a member of the London Junior Knights for eight years.
- His nickname is "Donut" because his number (8) is two donuts.
- He patterns his game after Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom "because he is calm, offensive, consistent and he makes it look easy."
- If he could have dinner with any three people he would choose: Wayne Gretzky, Denzel Washington and Jessica Alba.
- If he could be in any movie he would be in Miracle and the one thing he couldn't live without is his cell phone.
NHL Team: New Jersey
NHL Player: Joe Sakic
Shootout Move: "Backhand forehand, cheese"
Goal Celebration:"Right leg in the air and double fist pumps"
Video Game: NHL '08
Movie: Coach Carter
Actress: Jessica Alba
Book: Romeo and Juliet
Pump-up Song: Eminem - "Till I Collapse"
Food to Cook: Grilled Cheese
Sport (other than hockey): Soccer
Activity Away from the Rink: Xbox
Place to Visit: Cancun
Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
2006-07 Geulph OHL 67 21 53 74 76
2007-08 Geulph OHL 58 13 37 50 68