BLUE JACKETS 0 | AVALANCHE 4
Rene Bourque Post Game
Ryan Johansen Post Game
Fedor Tyutin Post Game
Todd Richards Post Game
Second Period Highlights
ANALYSIS: This is going to be a very short first period recap. The Blue Jackets trail 3-0 and, as Todd Richards said about their second period last night, most of the damage was self-inflicted. They allowed two goals on a 5-on-3 power play for Colorado less than four minutes into the game, as Jarome Iginla (2:24) and Gabe Landeskog (3:51) scored to give the Avalanche an early 2-0 lead. The Jackets had the better of puck possession by a mile (22-10 EV SAT, nearly 70%) but they gave up a killer third goal on a Scott Hartnell turnover to Matt Duchene, who took off from his own blue line and beat Curtis McElhinney five-hole at 9:53. Shots are 15-12 favoring Columbus.
First Period Highlights
Ryan Johansen Pregame
Marko Dano Pregame
Todd Richards Pregame
UPDATE (12:05 PM): Todd Richards met with the media after team meetings this morning. Richards announced that Curtis McElhinney will get the start tonight in net after Sergei Bobrovsky played the past two games.
- Newly-acquired Rene Bourque has been recalled from AHL Springfield on an emergency basis and Richards said he will be in the lineup tonight against the Avalanche. Richards said that where and how Bourque is used will be a game-time decision.
- Kevin Connauton will not be in the lineup tonight for Columbus. He skated this morning with Ryan Murray and Jeremy Morin.
Happy Game Day, folks!
The Blue Jackets snapped a seven-game winless streak last night in earning their first ever regulation win in New Jersey. The Jackets held off the Devils, 3-2, thanks to timely scoring and excellent goaltending in the third period from Sergei Bobrovsky. The Jackets come right back home to face a club fighting on the fringes of the Western Conference playoff picture, the Colorado Avalanche.
That fight got a little harder for the Avalanche on Wednesday when they lost young star forward Nathan MacKinnon to a fractured foot that will likely keep him out for the rest of the regular season. MacKinnon's injury is the second significant body expected missing from the Avalanche lineup on Saturday night, as there is still no timetable for defenseman Erik Johnson's return from a knee injury that took place before the All-Star Game. That puts a lot more pressure on 22-year-old captain Gabriel Landeskog, who has responded with his best hockey of the season.
- The Blue Jackets will not skate this morning after returning late last night from New Jersey. They will be available to the media this morning.
- During media availability, Todd Richards may offer an update on defenseman Kevin Connauton, who last played on Feb. 24. Richards said on Thursday that Connauton's lower-body injury would keep him out of the lineup in New Jersey but that he could potentially play tonight against the Avalanche.
- Brandon Dubinsky made his return to the lineup last night after missing three games with a concussion, scoring a goal and adding an assist for his seventh multi-point game of the season. The Blue Jackets are 7-0-0 in those games.
- As mentioned, Landeskog has been rolling for Colorado. Landeskog has 17 goals this season, but he has scored seven of those in the past 10 games. That includes a five game goal-scoring streak during that stretch and an three-point game on Wednesday against Pittsburgh.
- The Avalanche roster features some pretty strong veteran talent as well. Jarome Iginla, Alex Tanguay, and Daniel Briere have combined in their careers for 3,338 games, 1,157 goals, and 2,718 points. Tanguay is coming off his 1,000th career game on Wednesday.