In keeping with the mission to advance the development of youth hockey in Central Ohio, the Columbus Blue Jackets have purchased 125 memberships to flexxCOACH, an online educational tool, for youth hockey coaches in Central Ohio. Beginning next season, these memberships will be offered on an annual basis through the support of the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation, the charitable arm of the hockey club.
Through this partnership with the Columbus Blue Jackets, flexxCOACH’s internet-based ice hockey coaching tools and resources will be offered free of charge to head coaches in the Columbus Chill Youth Hockey Association (CCYHA), Capital Amateur Hockey Association (CAHA), Easton Youth Hockey Association (EYHA) and the Newark Ice Hockey Association (NIHA). Coaches in the respective leagues are issued individual passwords to access the program through www.BlueJackets.com or the flexxCOACH official website at www.flexxCOACH.com.
“In the six years since the Blue Jackets have been part of this community, participation in youth hockey has grown exponentially. In order to support this rapid growth, we want to do everything possible to keep the number of qualified coaches relative to the number of players and offering a resource like flexxCOACH is an important step in that direction,” said J.D. Kershaw, Director of Fan Development for the Blue Jackets.
The flexxCOACH Practice Planner is an interactive, web-based software product designed to assist coaches in creating efficient and effective practices that will benefit their players. The drill database was designed by professional coaches with youth coaches in mind. The emphasis is on drills that promote fundamental skill development. Coaches may use the flexxCOACH drill database for the following applications:
• View over 300 animated drills designed specifically for youth hockey
• Select, order and assign times to drills
• Combine drills to create personalized practice plans
• E-mail practice plans to assistant coaches, players and parents prior to practice
• Archive practice plans for future use
• Access or utilize sample practice plans for each age level
• The drill designer allows coaches to create their own drills on their own computer and synchronize with the flexxCOACH server to be archived and used when creating customized Practice Plans
• The Member Tools give coaches the ability to communicate with players and parents. The Team Page allows parents, players and coaches to view the team calendar, roster, team news and the practice plans in live animation.
flexxCOACH was designed and developed by a group of individuals with extensive coaching, management and playing experience at the professional, international, collegiate and youth levels of sports. The founding members and management team include Keith Allain (Asst. Coach, St. Louis Blues), Jim Johnson (13 year NHL veteran) and Mike Sullivan (12 year NHL veteran and Head Coach, Boston Bruins). For more information, visit www.flexxCOACH.com.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Ohio High School Athletic Association State Ice Hockey Semi-Finals and Championship games will be held at Nationwide Arena the weekend of March 11 & 12. The 2006 semifinals are slated for Saturday, March 11 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. with the final played at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 12. In addition, the Senior All-Star Game will precede the final at 10 a.m. Sunday.
Tickets to the OHSAA Hockey Championship games and all Blue Jackets games are on sale now and may be purchased at the Nationwide Arena Ticket Office, the Blue Jackets Zones at Chiller Dublin, Chiller Easton, Chiller North, all Ticketmaster ticket centers, by phone at (614) 431-3600 or via the internet at www.BlueJackets.com and ticketmaster.com.