Blue Jackets Summer Takeover presented by Huntington is a free hockey education and interactive clinic offered to day camps in Franklin and contiguous counties from May to August. Summer Takeover exposes campers to the game of hockey in a fun and educational atmosphere. The street hockey clinics, geared towards campers ages 6-12, will focus on the hockey fundamentals of stickhandling, passing and shooting. Through the program campers are educated on the rules of the game and the importance of teamwork, respect and responsibility. The Blue Jackets provide all necessary equipment and instruction at no charge.
A typical Blue Jackets Summer Takeover visit consists of the following over the course of a 60-minute clinic.
- Introduction: Blue Jackets staff will give an overview of the clinic, brief history of the Columbus Blue Jackets and character expectations such as teamwork.
- Stickhandling: Participants will be taught the basics of stickhandling through practice drills and a competitive obstacle course.
- Passing: Blue Jackets staff will teach the technique of passing, and participants will work together to practice their passing skills.
- Shooting: Participants will learn the mechanics behind a wrist shot and will have the opportunity to shoot on net.
- Q & A: As time allows, participants can ask Blue Jackets staff questions related to hockey and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Before submitting the application for a Summer Takeover clinic, please verify that your organization meets the following criteria below:
- Requests are on a first come, first served basis. Please complete the form below.
- Volunteers: At least three (3) adult volunteers are needed to assist with the clinic.
- Number of participants: Only 100 kids are permitted to attend a single clinic, and there must be a minimum of 40 participants.
- Requests are scheduled 4-6 weeks prior to event. Summer Takeover is held between June and August. For fall, winter and spring requests, please visit bluejackets.com/hockeytogo.
- Blue Jackets player, coach, broadcaster and/or alumni appearances are not available through Summer Takeover.
- An appearance by Blue Jackets mascot Stinger is subject to availability.
- Summer Takeover does not involve regular appearances by the Columbus Blue Jackets staff, players, or coaches.
- If your clinic is cancelled due to inclement weather, a camp not known at the time of scheduling, or a Columbus Blue Jackets staffing conflict, the Blue Jackets will make every effort to reschedule your clinic for a later date.
- Each organization may apply once a year, and must be located in Franklin or contiguous counties.
Sights from the Blue Jackets Summer Takeover