1st Star: C Phillip Danault, Moncton (QMJHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 3A, +1 plus/minus
Phillip Danault extended his point streak to seven games as Moncton went 3-0 last week. The Blackhawks’ first-round draft pick in 2011 assisted on three of the Wildcats’ dozen goals on Feb. 26 against Cape Breton, then scored twice at Rimouski and once at Quebec over the weekend. Danault has racked up 33 points (9G, 24A) in 20 games since joining Moncton at the trade deadline, and has been held off the scoresheet just four times in that span.
|(Terry Wilson/OHL) |
2nd Star: C Alex Broadhurst, London (OHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 2A, +3
Broadhurst continued his stellar first season in the OHL with a five-point week for the league-leading London Knights. The 19-year-old native of Orland Park, Ill., scored the game-winner in a 5-2 win at Windsor, logged a helper on March 1 against Sarnia and contributed three points (2G, 1A) in a 6-1 romp over Kitchener the next night. Broadhurst’s 60 points (23G, 37A) and +31 rating this season rank third on the team.
3rd Star: C/RW Mark McNeill, Prince Albert (WHL)
The Line: 3GP, 5A, +3
The Raiders won two of three outings last week, and Prince Albert captain Mark McNeill played a big part in those victories, logging three primary assists in a 4-1 victory at Moose Jaw on Feb. 26 and adding two more helpers in a 7-0 win over Regina the next night. McNeill leads the team with 60 points (21G, 39A) in 58 games this season.
Honorable Mentions: C Brandon Pirri, Rockford (AHL); G Brandon Whitney, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
Pirri overtook Martin St. Pierre as the IceHogs’ points leader with a four-assist weekend. He contributed to three of Rockford’s goals in their 4-1 win over Peoria on March 1 and added one more the next night against Milwaukee.
Whitney capped off an excellent February with a 30-save win on Feb. 28 at Acadie-Bathurst, boosting his record to 7-1-0-0 with a 2.01 goals-against average, .930 save percentage and two shutouts, good enough to earn the QMJHL’s third star of the month honors.
Around the system:
- University of Vermont defenseman Michael Paliotta scored his first goal of the season—his first career game-winner—on March 2 in a 5-2 win at Boston University. The 2011 draft pick also logged a career-high +4 in the game.
- Defenseman Joe Gleason logged points in both of North Dakota’s games against Bemidji State this weekend, tallying his fifth goal of the season in a 4-2 win on Friday and adding a helper in a 2-2 tie on Saturday.
- Blueliner Braden Birch netted his first goal for Cornell this season in a 4-1 win at Brown.
- Rockford forward Jeremy Morin extended his point streak to seven games with a pair of goals on March 1 against Peoria, but was held off the scoresheet the next night. Ben Smith scored the IceHogs’ other two goals in the 4-1 win over the Rivermen.
- IceHogs defensemen Shawn Lalonde and Adam Clendening both chipped in over the weekend with two assists each. Both of Lalonde’s helpers came against Peoria, while Clendening logged one in each contest.