Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Bears Foil Admirals' Comeback

by Staff Writer / Chicago Blackhawks


Goals by Pavel Vorobiev and Carl Corazzini erased a two-goal deficit, but a third period goal by Boyd Gordon gave the Bears a 3-2 victory in Game 1 of the East Division Semifinals on Wednesday night in Hershey.

The Bears pounced on a power play opportunity mid-way through the opening period. Adam Munro stopped a Mike Green shot, but the rebound went to the bottom of the right circle. Kris Beech found the puck and teed up a shot that eluded the Norfolk netminder at 9:10. The Admirals were unable to solve Bears' backstop Frederic Cassivi with 11 first period shots, as Hershey led 1-0 after one period.

Tomas Fleischmann doubled the lead for the home team 11:35 into the second period, sending a shot from the top of the right circle that deflected off an Admirals' stick and past Munro. However, Norfolk built some momentum toward the end of the period as they closed the deficit to one goal.

James Wisniewski shot the puck into the Bears' end from center ice as the Admirals entered the attacking zone. The puck bounced between the legs of a Hershey defender and straight to the stick of Pavel Vorobiev. Vorobiev sent a snap shot from the edge of the left circle that went through the legs of Cassivi at 15:26.

Less than a minute later, Fleischmann was awarded a penalty shot after being tripped while on a breakaway. Munro kicked the puck off the Hershey left wing's stick before he was able to get a shot, and the Admirals remained down by just a goal heading into the third period.

Norfolk began the final frame with a five-on-three power play, and Carl Corazzini cashed in on the opportunity to tie the game. Forty-one seconds into the period, Mark Cullen sent a crisp cross-ice pass toward the bottom of the left face-off circle. Corazzini one-timed the pass into the back of the net to knot the score at 2-2.

Five minutes later as a Norfolk power play expired, Boyd Gordon stole the puck at his own blue line to start a two-on-one break. Gordon fired a snap shot over Munro's glove to give Hershey the lead at 6:11. The Admirals pulled Munro with a minute left in an attempt to send the game to overtime, but Cassivi and the Bears' defense held strong as they won the game 3-2.

Adam Munro took the loss in a 23-save effort. Frederic Cassivi picked up the victory and stopped 30 shots.

Norfolk was 1-9 on the power play. Hershey was 1-5.

Three Stars:
1. Boyd Gordon - HER
2. Kris Beech - HER
3. Frederic Cassivi - HER

View More