Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Chicago Blackhawks

Admirals Downed In Overtime

by Staff Writer / Chicago Blackhawks


The Admirals lost to the Wolf Pack in overtime 7-6 despite three-point efforts from Danny Richmond, Mark Cullen and Quintin Laing on Wednesday night in Hartford. Box Score>>

The Admirals got off to a slow start in a wild first period. Chad Wiseman scored the game's first goal at 1:29. Nigel Dawes then doubled the Wolf Pack lead with a one-timer goal at 8:07. However, the Admirals, led by Danny Richmond, quickly roared back.

Just 36 seconds after Dawes' goal, Mark Cullen sent a cross-ice pass to Richmond at the right circle. The Admirals' defenseman sent a quick snap shot that beat the glove of Hartford goaltender Al Montoya at 8:43. Richmond knotted the score at 2-2 just under five minutes later.

He emerged from behind the net with the puck and appeared to try to pass the puck to Cullen. However, the puck hit a Wolf Pack defender and bounced into the net at 13:14. Norfolk took the lead with just 25.5 seconds remaining in the first period. Quintin Laing attempted a wraparound shot from the left side of Montoya that the goaltender initially stopped. However, Laing stuffed the rebound home at 19:34. The Admirals took a 3-2 lead into the second period.

The goals continued to accumulate in the second period. Alexandre Giroux tied the game for Hartford just 26 seconds into the period. However, special teams helped Norfolk gain a two-goal advantage after two periods. A shorthanded rush into the Admirals' zone was thwarted by a well-timed poke-check on Jarkko Immonon, leading to a power play breakaway for Norfolk.

Jason Morgan sent the puck to Colin Fraser as he streaked over the blue line. Fraser sent a shot along the ice that beat Hartford goaltender Robert Gherson, who began the second period for the Wolf Pack, stick side at 6:03. With 10.2 seconds left in the period, Shawn Thornton broke in on Gherson while his team was shorthanded. Thornton sent a shot that beat Gherson's glove at 19:49. The Admirals led 5-3 heading into the third period.

The Hartford power play took control of the game in the beginning of the third period. Giroux deflected a Jarkko Immonen shot for a power play goal at 1:41. Colby Genoway potted another man advantage tally for the Wolf Pack to tie the game at 4:23. Daniel Girardi gave Hartford a 6-5 lead on the power play at 5:18. Norfolk tied the game on a strange play midway through the third period.

Eric Meloche broke in on Gherson splitting two defenders in the process. He was hooked down from behind, and an attempted shot was going wide. However, Gherson reached out with his stick and deflected the puck into his own cage at 11:31. Meloche was credited with the goal, and the game was tied 6-6 after sixty minutes of hockey.

In overtime, Wiseman entered the Norfolk zone with defenseman Michal Barinka between he and Admirals' netminder Corey Crawford. Barinka tripped and Wiseman broke in on Crawford alone, scoring the game-winner at 3:09 of overtime.

Corey Crawford made 39 saves on 46 shots and picked up the overtime loss. Al Montoya played the first period and stopped 9 of 12 shots. Robert Gherson earned the victory playing the final three periods and stopping 17 of 20 Norfolk shots.

The Admirals were 1-4 on the power play. The Wolf Pack were 3-6.

Three Stars:
1. Chad Wiseman - HFD
2. Daniel Girardi - HFD
3. Danny Richmond - NOR

View More